1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beisbol been berry berry good to me (Running Baseball Thread IX)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mayfly, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Re: Beisbol has been berry berry good to me (Running Baseball Thread IX)

Will they have Mogen David in Heaven?

2. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Where are all the experts who said the Yankees had no chance of making the playoffs? (BYH, was that you?) Well, I would say they are now a lock to get there and, if the Red Sox keep playing like the 1978 Red Sox, don't be surprised if the Yankees win the division. Dissenters?

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Huzzah. Casty, I can't remember who's blog I was reading it in, maybe Buster's, but they talked about one of those wacky VORPy type numbers and how it showed how much the Yankees were underachieving in the early part of the season, and that there was no way it could last. That seems to have evened out. They're just flat raking right now.

And Phila, if you want to bring out the catcalls, keep talking about your fantasy team on this thread.

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I would like to know how these Red Sox compare to the '78 team. Since the all-star break, the Yankees have gained 4 games on the Sox playing shitty teams like the White Sox, Devil Rays and Royals. Since the break, the Sox are 14-10 playing good competition (except the DRays) and the Yankees are 19-7 in that same stretch playing the dregs of the American League.
    The Yankees will not win the division. They may get the wild card, but I still think that's coming from the Central between the Twins, Indians and Tigers.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Red Sox are 1-2 against the Royals (at Fenway, no less) since the All-Star Break, while the Yankees have gone 6-1 against those same Royals. Just wanted to point that out, because you lumped the Royals in with both "shitty teams" and "good competition (except the DRays)."

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I would love for the Yankees to overtake the Red Sox. I think it would be rather comical. However, I don't see it happening.

Some point soon, Jason Giambi is going to return to the line-up. The Yankees will then shift from a line-up of speed to one of slow power. Giambi is like a big clog in the line-up. Things grind to a halt. Torre hasn't shown that he won't keep him out of the line-up, either. Last year, Torre forced in Gary Sheffield when they just couldn't make it fit.

Additionally, you have to look at the Yankees' schedule. They really didn't play any tough teams. Their post-All Star schedule was primed and ready for them to gain ground. Personally, I don't think they gained enough.

7. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

A perfect storm hit the M's yesterday while they were innocently flying to the land of the crab. Angels, Yankees, Tigers and Indians all won.

Manny picked a hell of a game to be Manny and get himself chased early.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Eric Byrnes is fun to watch. And probably the most overpaid player in baseball ... three-year extension worth around $30 million. :eek:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0807brynes-ON-CR.html

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Might he be another Gary Matthews, Jr.?

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

He's 31 and in his walk year ... 'nuff said.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Again, for the thousandth time:

THEY'RE. NOT. MAKING. IT.

And I still don't have any takers on the bet, FWIW. PM me if you're interested.

12. Ms. Cleo in da house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.