1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being homesick

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jakewriter82, May 30, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I do, too, but I guess I've got a bit of homebody in me.

It's weird. I moved around a bit as a youngster, and I'm a child of divorce. Thus, I didn't have one particular setting that was *always* home. I also spent weekends (and occasionally longer) with both sets of grandparents. I've lived in two different states and I even went to two different high schools in two different states during my senior year of high school. That means I go to two high school reunions, but I digress.

When I have dreams in which I go back "home," it isn't any of the apartments I lived in when my parents were married. It isn't the places they've moved to since. Those dreams always find me and the rest of the family in my paternal grandmother's house that she and my grandfather lived in since 1966. Until my grandfather died in 1996 and she moved into an apartment later that year, that was as close to one "home" as I ever had. I miss that...

I'm sure the years and a tad bit of maturity might make things a little easier if I were to pick up roots and move to a different state, or even to a different county within the same state.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Since my dad died last month, I'm realizing that the feeling I always thought was homesickness (and I have always been the most prone to homesickness of anyone I know) was missing my dad, not home. :':)'(

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'm sorry about your pop.

A father is all the difference.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Home for me is two places. Montana and wherever it is my mom lives. It sure as fuck isn't where I am now.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

but you get sun and rain where you live.

6. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

You do?
    From what I've been told it's just a lot of grey. Nothing like Montana. :p

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

In 1997 I almost drank my way out of a job because of culture shock and home sickness.
    Be smart, attend to business.
    Few things are as bad they seem to be. Few things were good as they seem to be upon reflection.
    Eye on the ball.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

am i the only person on this board who doesn't have a hometown to go home to?

i grew up moving every two or three years because of my dad's work.

i never thought about it this way before but i guess it's nice that i can't get homesick.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

My dad's kind of that way, in that he moved every couple of years as a kid. But he's got 2 (sometimes 3) towns that really stick out for him.

Interesting perspective on it, though. Do none of your "hometowns" stick out for you? Maybe not necessarily as a place where you still have any roots or you could go back and find people you know, but maybe just a place you have fond memories of that felt like "home" at the time?

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm the first in my family to really have a wondering itch.
    Of course, I'm only second-generation American, so my grandparents definitely had the wondering itch. All four came here from Ireland in 1920. All four were adults when they migrated, and none of them were acquainted before they got to the Bronx.
    Maybe it just skips sometimes.
    Although, my dad is from 1930-40s Bronx and at almost 80 he's still a million times tougher than I could ever hope to be.
    He could've staked a successful family in the mouth of a volcano if he had to.
    Maybe that's easier than starting from the Bronx.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Not like Montana at all. No snow. Sucks giant donkey balls.

Draft saved Draft deleted