1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being homesick

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jakewriter82, May 30, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yeah, the idea of home is here. The love and the family. But this town, it ain't mine. I'll never be considered a regular at a bar here. Bumfuckhometown, however, is my town.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It doesn't. It makes you a looser. [/sjstylebook] ;)

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm with the crowd here that says home is wherever I'm living at that time. I have three older siblings and they've all set up roots in cities other than where we grew up. I will definitely do the same. I'm back "home" for the summer but this is probably the last time I will be here for longer than a week or two. I love to travel and I've found it easy to set up a new home. When I went to London for a semester, we had to find flats in the city for ourselves. About three weeks into my time there I took a weekend trip with friends to Paris. By the third day, we all wanted to go back "home." London was our home then and we couldn't wait to get back and spend the night in our flat in Bayswater.

I will have a new city to call home for four months in the fall and I can't wait. And then, I can't wait to graduate next May so I can find somewhere else to call home.

Having said that, I still miss my original home when I'm away for a while, but I can only take being back for about a week, then my parents quickly get on my nerves.

Also, there's a sign on one of the walls in the Guinness Storehouse that reads: "Home is not where you live, but where they understand you." I like that.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Still learning the dynamics of the board, Dools. :)

And I have scanned the sjstylebook thread once (though I have no idea how to find it again. I know, do a search, but maybe it should be a sticky. Looked for it as a sitcky and didn't see it.)

Meantime, someone please explain to this Newbie (or is sj style Noobie?) why it's Looser and not Loser, because I have noticed that and almost typed my post that way.

Sorry for the threadjack.

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Honestly, I think I always stuck around just because my family is all here. The thought of moving somewhere else and not having those people close to me truly scares the shit out of me.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Moving 2,500 miles from my hometown scared the shit out of me, too.

It also brought out the best in me.

7. dooley_womack1

Bandwagon Boy, a legend of message boards, invaded this board, and looser was one of his fave terms. Strangely, the board crashed big time after he came aboard. We lost about three months of our history.

The stylebook got locked because of a silly threadjack, and god knows how many pages back it is by now.

And newbie or noob is fine. More precisely, "get me a beer, newbie" or "get me a beer, noob" is fine.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

For the right job, I'd gladly move back to my hometown area, even with its inflated taxes and Rustbelt economy. But my wife and family would kill me.

Have lived all over the country and I can say I've never lived in a really bad place; some were just better than others. For my family right now Microville can't be beat.

I was terribly homesick my freshman year of college and I do get a little whimsical for the old hometown every once in a while, especially since my parents have moved away and I have no reason to go back there.

Then I see it snowed about 5,000 inches overnight in the winter or had two months of hot and humid summer weather and I'm happy just where I'm at.

9. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I can't say I've ever been homesick. I went off to college at 18 and have been back to my parents' house maybe a dozen times since, and one in the past 11 years. Hal Ketchem's "Small Town Saturday Night" pretty much sums it up my hometwon:

Bobby told Lucy, "The world ain't round...
    Drops off sharp at the edge of town
    Lucy, you know the world must be flat
    'Cause when people leave town, they never come back"

As soon as I graduated college, I moved 3,000 miles away and immediately got busy building the life and "home" I wanted. My siblings pretty much did the same.

10. dooley_womack1

OK, Serious Cat says time for serious answer. Going back to my hometown would be a step back, and the in-laws would drive me crazy. If neither of those factors existed, I wouldn't mind going back. But no matter where you go, there you are, so I just keep that in mind.

11. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Well for me I'm pretty much the lone ranger in my family. Nearly my whole family save a few, and even a lot of my distant relatives, all live in the same town and can't seem to leave.
    I've always had this urge to get out, for various reasons, and I'm much better not living close to home.

I agree with Buck, though,
    I think it's great to visit because you don't have to dwell on the things you don't like about the place.

But because my whole family still lives in the same place I don't think I'll ever be completely in the "home is where I lay my head" crowd. Maybe more once I start my own family.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's what I thought a couple years ago. My old managing editor asked if my goal was to get back to my hometown for a better job at my old paper. I laughed and said, "I'm never going back. I left for a reason."

I don't think it'd be a step back for me, although it probably would feel like it. I just can't see myself living with everyone else in my family. I like being "on my own."

Draft saved Draft deleted