1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being friends/friendly with the people you cover

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Feb 21, 2008.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

I've been around the Pirates full-time since 1991. I think in that time only 4 players have ever known or addressed me be my first name. And I think that's appropriate.

2. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Heck, I can only name about four Pirates since 1991. And sadly, that includes the BBs

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

So it would be inappropriate that most everyone in the locker room I cover knows me by name? Why?

4. markvid

markvid Guest

No, not inappropriate. I like to think it means I've stayed neutral.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Or, the people you cover are self-absorbed pricks ;)

In all seriousness, the team knows my name because I've seen them every day for the past six months. No more, no less.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

I don't doubt that, but I'm on the plane, in the hotel, etc, only in the locker room enough to get lineups and run back to the TV truck.

7. Im still in college, so alot of the guys I have worked out with, or seen around. I know them but at the same time its not a beyond personal level. I think they expect me to tell it like it is. Thats how I am, I am not overly critical but i definetly try and keep it real so to speak. As far as Coaches go, well most of the coaches love me and the AD loves my articles so hes really cool with me.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Been working in the same small town for 10 years now. Stick in any place, especially a smaller place, that long and it's hard not to see folks you cover while you're out and about. I agree with the "be friendly, but not friends" advice. However, I also don't see anything wrong with sharing lunch or a beer once in a while with a coach or player, so long as you both know there's a professional boundary at some point. The minute you consider going easy on someone because you don't want to hurt them, you're way too close. Of course, by then it's usually too late.

One of our basketball coaches used to live in the same apartment complex as me, right across the courtyard. We used to hang out and play Madden once in a while. Is that crossing a line? I don't think so.
    Same coach was actually roommates for a time with one of our other writers. That came much, much closer, and if I were our SE I'd have had some issues with it. But from what I could tell they were basically sharing a house and not much else. The times I visited either one of them, the other was nowhere to be found.

Other coaches and parents have invited me to things like barbecues with the team. Obviously, they're just trying to be nice and, I like to think, appreciative of the coverage they've gotten. And, obviously, I'm not going anywhere near the place. But there's also no reason to be a dick about it and throw the "Can't! Journalistic ethics!" reasoning in their face. I'll just say I have to work that day.

9. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

hell, if you're covering a pro beat, at least a handful of guys on the team should know your first name

it means you're a pro, not that you're pals with 'em

10. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

The wise man is right.
    I've argued before that the rules are much more stringent for women than men when it comes to being friends with people we cover.

And while it's not exactly on point, I thought Joel Sherman from the NY Post did a nice job explaining his relationship with Andy Pettitte, and how it's caused Joel to wonder if a man he considered a friend will lie to him again.
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/02202008/sports/yankees/despite_the_lies__pettitte_hard_to_hate_98491.htm

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We should revive my old four-word sentence game from way back. This is a great example and a great philosophy.

Draft saved Draft deleted