1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being Fired for Posting on SJ

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by journalist68, Feb 5, 2007.

1. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I think our sports department is a ridiculous, dysfunctional joke. When someone came on here to praise the outgoing sports editor on his retirement and it started to become a Van McKenzie-type walk down memory lane, I reminded everyone that the guy was a hopeless drunk with more DUIs than bylines the past 10 years and was known for getting autographs from some people he interviewed (he showed up to a Jack Nicklaus interview with a trunkload of stuff). The laundry list of other reporters with problems (ethical violations, gifts in exchange for positive coverage, general incompetence, a copy editor fired for threatening to blow up the building, a preps reporter fired for trying to feel up a local softball player, an outdoors writer who required you buy his homemade lures before he wrote about you, etc) was lengthy. The search for a new sports editor ended up with the columnist, one of the worst in the country according to many, getting the job. A big-time opening was created for new full-time columnist and it went to a decent guy who has been OK, but not what you would expect from a national search that generated resumes from some name candidates who contacted me via SportsJournalists.com to scout out the paper.

So everybody got worked up here at the paper, and some made the mistake to come on here and proclaim I was a know-nothing. I responded with names and dates and ironclad specifics. Management grew even more incensed and began an internal search to find out who I was. Computers were monitored, IP addresses were tracked, etc. A couple people came on here and dropped big hints as to who I was (so they thought), but they weren't even in the right department. It was quite comical.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

got the picture now, 68?

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've been threatened by the warden with solitary confinement a few times, but I found a way to cover my ip address.

4. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

So, this is unethical?

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Seriously, unless this story is completely made up, how could anyone involved in the story read your post and not recognize who you are??

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You've seen one bitter, cranky, surly, mean copy editor, you've seen 'em all.

7. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Because there are hundreds of people who work at my paper.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Way off...It is

Doofii-nesses's'
    It's both plural and possessive.

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

A buddy of mine was confronted about postings about his shop. They thought it was him. One of his bosses even started yelling at him about it until my buddy pointed out how pissed he was because the anonymous poster was also making fun of him.
    Management can be so stupid when the're threatened.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So how did you get fired for being on sj, journalist68?

12. What is funny about this site is that sometimes I'm positive I know who is hiding behind an alias, and it turns out not to be that person at all -- and someone I've never heard of. I won't become quite as descriptive as Blonde Bomber in the above post, but I really don't know if anybody would be able to decipher who I am if I did bitch about my job here, anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted