1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being Fired for Posting on SJ

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by journalist68, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I love the whole mentality of how anyone with over X amount of posts is either an irresponsible employee, a shut-in with no life, or both.

Among the smidge of people with lots of posts whom I know on here, none of them fit that description.

Meanwhile, I'm still well under 500 and am about as much as a career failure as anyone on here.

I just don't geddit. :-\

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I've deleted my more profane response, but I don't get it either, Kaylee. My employer is more than pleased with my work, and I'll leave it at that.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Low threshold of expectancy? ;D

4. dooley_womack1

No, that would be BYH's wife.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, it's real close. Only the last two letters off. And it kinda sounds the same... :D

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It was a joke, kids. Everybody knows Dooley has a robot to do most of his posts, anyway.
    Or something like that.
    I know for sure he does good work. Dooley, I mean.

7. dooley_womack1

Boy, now I'm really glad I deleted that other post. :-\

8. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

From 21 a few pages back:
    "Of course it was later determined 21 was someone else entirely, on account of this woman having a cool handbag and great earrings at a major sporting event. We cleared that one up too, I hope."

Is this supposed to be in code? Did I have a cool handbag or did you? I'm still so confused.

9. dooley_womack1

I don't have cool handbags, so it ain't me.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yes, journalist68 is no longer drunk, so I am allowed to post again. I know I am not a 20k poster, but since I am on my way I feel like I am one.
    One day, I hope to be fired for posting here, just so my post on this thread makes sense. Until I hit 20k posts on this site, though, I don't think it will matter if I get fired or not.
    Oh, welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

No, someone ELSE had the handbag...so they said, 'God, of course! THAT must be 21!' Completely exonerating you from the whole mess, and probably costing her a job.

Not to say you don't have a cool handbag, I don't know.

(And despite gingerbread's good sense of humor about this, it wasn't funny in the least. I only brought it up to point out that a wrong guess--especially a guess that becomes a rumor and then a 'fact'--can cause serious damage.)

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Hardly a first time occurrence, although this did tend to happen more often in the early wild west, frontier days of SportsJournalists.com.

I believe the proper terminology for this type of behavior is known as "pulling a Jonathan" in deference to our friend from across the pond who started a cheery soccer thread and was summarily booted and punted into a bloody mess by the board denizens and left never to return.

Draft saved Draft deleted