1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being a pall bearer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jun 15, 2008.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Three words: Pine tar rag.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

It's a casket, not a baseball bat.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I once worked a military funeral in which the pall bearers (not Army, btw) dropped the casket.

It was awful. Lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Did somebody say "pine tar?"

[​IMG]

5. FWIW:
    When I was a river guide, one of the guys I worked with told us of the time he and a friend were paid in advance to be pall bearers.
    The minister gave them guys 20 bucks. But it was about an hour before they were needed. Instead of waiting, they ran to the store and bought a case of beer. They drank a little more than half of it before they were needed.
    Jack, that was the guy I worked with, said after they lowered the casket in the ground, he and his buddy were wobbling back and forth and trying not to giggle. Afterward, he said the minister walked by them, stopped and just glared.
    Old Jack said they just kept their heads down and tried not to laugh.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Exactly. I've done it three times. Don't worry about dropping it. Just get a good grip. It's not like you have to carry for a half-hour. You'll be fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted