1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being a pall bearer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

My uncle died this evening after a long illness. My aunt asked me to be one of the pall bearers.
    Has anyone here been one? Is there anything I need to know?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Don't drop the casket. I was a pallbearer once... nothing difficult, but don't drop the casket.
    Sorry about the loss, spuds...

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Been a pallbearer for my grandfather and my father-in-law. Nothing to it. Consider it a honor that you were asked.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Sorry about your loss.

The only time that I was asked was when I was 11, and it was for my maternal grandmother. It was me being asked as much as me trying to be a big shot and prove my worth, so to speak.

I couldn't lift the thing very much, of course, but there were six other guys chosen alongside me. It's an easy task, and one as simple as it looks. No practice, nothing.

Consider it an honor.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah easier said than done. I had a very obese aunt who died when I was about 15. My uncles and cousins and I had one hell of a time trying to keep that thing off the ground.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My grandmother weighed 90 pounds...

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My favorite uncle had cystic fibrosis and might not have weighed 90 when he passed. I was 19, and being a pallbearer alongside my dad and his three brothers (darn, I can't remember the sixth man now :mad: ) was a big deal.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My great grandmother was about that light too when she passed. It was easier to carry, but harder at the same time.

9. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

My only suggestion is to do whatever possible so that you are on the left side of the casket (When facing the direction that you are going). That way, you will be able to hold the casket with your right hand.

Sorry for your loss.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Don't drop the casket's about all the advice I can give. I've been a pallbearer for my grandfather's funeral. Possibly also for my aunt's. I gave a eulogy at my aunt's that was one of the hardest things I ever had to do.

11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

My dad is good friends with one of the funeral home owners in my hometown. It got to be that if they ever needed a pall bearer, they would call my dad and he would go do it (Dad knows pretty much everybody in town anyway, so it was no big deal).

When my grandfather died, I was one of the pall bearers. First thing my dad said was, "Whatever you do, don't drop it." And, echoing Just_an_SID, he said to get on the left side of the casket.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Hopefully it's not raining wherever you live.

I was a pall bearer at my best friend's funeral and it had been raining a lot in Seattle at the time. When we were carrying him through the cemetery, I stepped in some sort of mini sink hole and nearly dropped my end. Luckily some stronger buddies were able to shoulder the weight until I righted myself.

At my grandpa's funeral I nearly got knocked into the hole at the grave site because I was so young -- I think I was 15 or so. I assume you aren't that young or small so you should be OK, but be careful for sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted