1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Behold the power of a misspelled name

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Wonderlic, May 16, 2011.

1. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

UNC basketball signee P.J. Hairston: Duke 'couldn't spell my name right' ... http://bit.ly/lrRBff

The kid is a McDonald's All-American and rated among the top players in the Class of 2011 by Scout and Rivals.

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

That's great.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Coach K would have made sure it was spelled correctly on Hairston's Discover Card.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I was thinking someone cost a kid a scholarship, a kid who worked hard.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

So, P.J., you made part of your decision because of an intern or some administrative assistant making 15 bucks an hour? That's just great.

When you get to UNC, I hope you find a place and time to reflect on this great injustice. You DO know where the library is, I'm sure.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

It's not unreasonable to expect a school that's recruiting me to get my name right. It's kinda insulting, as if I'm not that big a deal if they can't even make sure they're calling me by my proper name. A lot of recruiting goes into making a kid feel special, as if he's the last piece of the puzzle, whether he's getting attention from Duke or Darryl's Divinity School. Calling me Mastery Meat or Mystery Mate is going to put my guard up about you guys, no matter your reputation, and if it's a choice between that or another top-flight school that put my correctly-spelled name up in lights on the HD video screen at their arena, well there you go.

7. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that Duke already has a kid with the same last name: Josh Hairston.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22727&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205007206&Q_SEASON=2011

8. writingump

writingump Member

Put yourself in an 18-year old kid's shoes (or any human being with an ego, for that matter). If your services are being sought, getting your name right is sort of important. I don't blame him one bit for spurning Duke and picking UNC. That's a stunning mistake by a program which wins in part because it takes care of the details.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I'm quite happy with his decision. Thanks Dook!

10. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

When I was a high school senior, UNC sent me a letter inviting me to visit (for academic, not athletic, purposes). Addressed from the dean and everything. Pretty blatant dangling participle in the first sentence.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That's where I'm at on it. Surprised that they would mess it up that badly.

John Sausage Sammich Thompson went on his radio show today ripping the kid for thinking he was too important. Um, no. STFU and eat another sammich.

12. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

$15/hr? Sign me up. I've misspelled plenty of names for much less than that.

Draft saved Draft deleted