1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beginning of end for Miami Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MGoBlue, Jan 14, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Maybe they unlearned English.

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Simon is correct to question this theory.

Why would the Hispanic population, in the last year, suddenly stop reading the Herald?

More likely, more and more of the population, including seniors, have gotten high-speed Internet connections.

Another reason could be that in the long-term, some of the more affluent members of the Cuban-American community have moved north to Broward and Palm Beach counties. Newer residents --- whether Hispanic or Haitian or white --- might be less likely to buy the Herald (just like new residents anywhere).

And yes, I do understand the situation, having lived in South Florida in the past.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Thanks, Fran.

Anyone else want to enlighten this rube?

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Simon is being an ass Fran.
    Since you lived in South Florida, you know that it is a unique area in many ways. I believe that the language barrier may have something to do with the decline. You are correct about the changing demographics and population.

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

No doubt demographics are a huge problem for The Herald. In past years, a lot of people thought the Sun-Sentinel and even the Palm Beach Post would thrive far more than the Herald because Dade County has fewer readers who prefer to read in English.

I simply meant that the demographic problems are not new.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Obviously, but, as you previously posted, not just in the past year.

Please send me a decoder ring for drip's drab drivel.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Of course their thye problems aren't new Fran. I mentioned them for what I believe could be root of the decline.
    Simon, you take a donkey's name to a new level.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Isn't the Internet illegal in Cuba?

Draft saved Draft deleted