1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beer talk

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Sep 3, 2008.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Along those lines, now that Rolling Rock went huge I hardly ever see people drinking it any more in bars.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What's the story on this Budweiser American Ale being introduced? A-B trying to compete with craft brews?

3. KG

KG Active Member

I like the Flying Dog series. Tonight, the Tire Biter will be my best friend.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

When I was in Madison a few weeks ago, Schlitz was nowhere to be found. I looked because I want to try it in its original formula. My dad raves about it.

My first legal beer purchase was a can of Schlitz ... in a tallboy. It was long into its era of being a cheapo beer produced by Stroh's.

I wanted to purchase all four of the former "major" Milwaukee beers -- Schlitz, Pabst, Blatz and Miller -- first when I turned 21 in 1992.

That was dumb, because by then, Schlitz was owned by Detroit-based Stroh's, Pabst was in its death throes in its original incarnation as a Milwaukee-based brand and Blatz was owned at the time by G. Heilmann out of La Crosse and was largely unavailable in Ohio where I lived at the time. All but Miller (and many would argue that), were total swill in '92 too.

Now it wouldn't be as bad. Pabst is much, much better since it reverted to its old formula a few years ago and Schlitz has been getting good reviews. And I imagine if the Schlitz experiment works, some revival of the Blatz brand could occur too.

Which would dump Miller back to its traditional spot as the third, perhaps even fourth beer of choice, at least as far as Milwaukee locals are concerned.

It's amazing to this day how many local taverns in Milwaukee and Wisconsin have the pre-1970 Pabst and Schlitz signs outside, even a few Blatz ones, but Miller signs lag far behind.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Any talk of old-time beer reminds me of this:

[​IMG]

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Those commercials rawked.

I could be remembering incorrectly (I'm certain I am), but after watching one of those commercials when I was a kid, I asked my dad why he didn't drink Hamm's. The commercials are cool, dad!

"I'm not drinking that shit."

End of conversation. Back to C.H.I.P.S.!

7. pallister

pallister Guest

"From the land of sky-blue waters."

And whatever happened to Stroh's?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

My roommate and I bought and drank every last bottle when we were in college.

At $9.95 a case.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Bottled Stroh's used to come in 8 packs. Perfect for a short four-man road trip, everybody got two beers. These days I know better. Back then I was an idjit.

10. Pabst!!! Ugh.
    Liquefied shit in a bottle, keg or can.
    Had some a while back at a tredny bar at a ski resort. It is a $1 a glass. With good reason.
    Ugh.

11. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Eh, at least you have Deschutes (presumably).

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What? These days 2 isn't enough?

Draft saved Draft deleted