1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beer snob sues MillerCoors for making Blue Moon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, May 6, 2015.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Because it implies superiority, like craft beer. Which is why I have a feeling this lawsuit will stick.

spikechiquet likes this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I am absolutely not a fan of fruity beers (e.g., Blue Moon, the Leinenkugel Orange Shandy, etc.). I recently made a batch of homebrew using a recipe that purportedly was a clone of a sorta local brew. Take a Blue Moon, move it a shade toward lemony, and you'll have exactly what this batch tasted like. I kept thinking I'd screwed something up, then I read up on the hops this recipe called for and realized that's simply how it was supposed to taste.

Gave away the last of it last week, and I have never been more thrilled to get rid of homebrew. My best friend's late-20s daughter was in town showing off her new baby and all of her young pals were over there. They drank the hell out of it, and I was pouring it as fast as I could.

studthug12 and YankeeFan like this.
  3. doctorquant

Also, Stella is a single-malt beer ... Bud has rice as a brewing adjunct.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I don't like fruity beers either, And get the orange or lime away from it! Leiny's Summer Shandy is without doubt the worst "premium" beer I've ever drank. Just not my thing.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Stella isn't a single-malt. They use "maize," according to their advertising.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Wait, wait, wait, wait ... Blue Moon is a "very heavy" beer??

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing. I could describe it as many things, but heavy would not be one of them.

8. doctorquant

Oops, now I see that. My bad.

Both have adjuncts. Bud's is rice, Stella's is corn. BTW, Corona has corn as an adjunct, too.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Just point me to where I can find a six pack of Special Export from La Crosse, WI. With a grenade of Mickey's.

To go.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Although I prefer beer on tap, if you buy a beer in a bottle, and don't actually READ the bottle, you are not a beer snob, you are a fucking idiot.

For example, Foster's (Australian p-water) used to be brewed in Australia, but about 20 years ago, they started brewing it in Canada (so they could still call it "imported" for US consumption). Around five years ago, they started brewing it in a couple of places in the U.S. and dropped the word "IMPORTED" off of their packaging.

You can learn a lot by reading the label! And, then there's this thing called the Internet, with beeradvocate and ratebeer.

If you are going to be a dick or snob, do your homework.

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

As I said earlier in the thread, use of the term "artfully crafted" isn't the only reason the lawsuit claims that MillerCoors is trying to pass off Blue Moon as a craft beer. And I think there's a pretty clear connection between a slogan such as "artfully crafted" and the term "craft beer." The real question here seems to me to be whether "craft beer" has a meaning that is understood well enough that misusing it could be misleading.

Here's a much better article than the one posted at the top of the thread that explains the lawsuit's claims if you don't want to read the complaint:
    Lawsuit: Blue Moon is no 'craft beer' | UTSanDiego.com Mobile

I wasn't calling the plaintiff a "beer snob." I was referring to the conversation in the thread which so far had been about people who are picky about their beers and not the lawsuit, which I find far more interesting.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wut?

Draft saved Draft deleted