1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beer of choice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Feb 10, 2012.

1. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Beer to chug from the can after doing yardwork: Narragansett or Simpler Times

Versatile, all-around go-to beer: Fullers ESB or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Beer to have with wintertime comfort food: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Overall favorite: St. Bernardus Abt 12 or Bell's Two-Hearted Ale

2. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Bells Double Cream Stout is an excellent seasonal and if it's not in season, why then Oberon is.
    1554 from New Belgium is in my fridge right now, nice heavy beer that tastes like fresh baked bread.
    One of the things I miss about living on the east coast in Yuengling which is the only beer to have with cheesesteak. Luckily I have a spring training trip planned next month and they have it on tap in Clearwater

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Now, Yuengling I can enjoy.

We have a sandlot baseball field in one of our local leagues, out in the sticks at a rod and gun club. You can go up to the concession stand, quietly slip them a bill and they'll reach under the table and grab you a Yuengling.

Ballpark's only 15 miles out of Pottsville. It's a great visit.

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald and Guinness.

5. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

The people from Michigan know what Bell's beer tastes like, and that is heaven!

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think I prefer Founders to Bell's, overall. If comparing Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout to Bell's Hopslam, though ... Christ. You win either way.

My favorite beer is probably Stone Ruination, but I typically go for a slightly cheaper India pale ale, such as Sierra Nevada Torpedo, New Belgium Ranger, Bear Republic Racer 5, Smuttynose Finestkind or Stone's regular IPA.

7. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

New Belgium loves using biscuit malt...hence that bready taste in beers like 1554 and Fat Tire.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Blue Moon when I'm actually in the mood to drink. That's happened less and less lately. Maybe the journalism's out of my blood at long last.

Nowadays, I drink maybe one, two nights a week at the most. And it's usually something like Mike's Hard Lemonade, and then it may be four over a six-hour period.

I have lost almost 10 pounds since I'd ballooned up to my peak lately. I'm guessing that has something to do with it (no other major diet or exercise changes).

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Anything Shiner Boch brews
    Anything Leinenkugel's brews
    Smithwicks
    Bud
    PBR
    Anything Trader Joe brews

10. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Drinking all that dark beer in London broke me of ever wanting to sip a dark beer again.

I am with Shottie. Give me a nice, light (what some would call piss water) beer and I am fine.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I sometimes will buy Coors Light for my friends who don't drink beer. :)

12. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I prefer Bud Light. But I'll drink a Coors if someone else is buying. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted