1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bed sheets

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Apr 5, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

TMI for this thread...but true. :'( :'(

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

All those damn pillows confound me too. They're all various levels of softness, I usually find the (firm, but not too firm) one I like -- which is invariably about the size of my fist, which means my neck is killing me the next day because my head is in an awkward spot -- and push the others off.

I'm old-fashioned, I swear by my massive, goose-feather pillows I "inherited" from my maternal grandmother. Perfect firmness and big enough to keep me in a blissful pillow cocoon all night.

But yeah ... Westin beds rock.

3. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I bought a white with dark pinstripe set that ran the first time I washed them.

They feel great, but look like hell.

4. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

For starters, as a kid growing up, we didn't have much money. Not free-lunch, dirt poor, but we just didn't have a lot. Especially not money to spend on fancy things like 1,000,000 thread-count sheets.

I got like one set of sheets every couple of years. Every Saturday morning, I'd get up take them off the bed and put them in the washer. When I came home on Saturday after games or whatever, they were laying on my bed folded. I put them on and went to sleep. This routine never changed from the time I was 8 until I graduated.

Did the same thing in college, though they got washed quite less (I know that's really gross).

However, now, I bet Mrs. Never Tell has got 5 or 6 sets of sheets. While we did get married less than a year ago, I tell her all the time, "There's little poor kids that only have one set of sheets, and this sheet is crazy."

We do have one really nice set that has no freaking tags to tell you what kind they are, but they're my fav. That and the only ratty purple set she's had forever. They've been washed so much they're like silk soft.

Lastly, don't trust thread count. What one person says is 600 is another's 250.

5. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Here's something from Yahoo Answers on thread count:
    Ahh, satisfactory comfort. Sounds like a dream, don't it?

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That is kind of what I was saying. The sheets at Westin have a count between 230 and 300 and they are perfect.

Maybe the key is the Egyptian cotton. It allows you to sleep like an Egyptian

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Another option for JD, depending on his local climate, might be flannel sheets.

And as far as discount outlets go, Sierra Trading Post is a solid online option for those not inclined to take out a second mortgage to buy bed linens.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/6876_Sheets.html

8. Boom_70

Flannel sheets all end up with unsightly dingle berries.

Besides from what I learned of JD he lives in one of the most humid climates in the US. Poor JD will wake up dehyrdrated from sweating all night.

9. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Yes, all the cops in the donut shops say wayo wayo. Sleep like an Egyptian.

Actually, you piqued my interest in what Egyptian cotton is. It's a silkier version, according to Wikipedia.

10. Boom_70

Now we know why King Tut has slept so well.

What this all points to is once again what an amazing place this is. We are now debating thread counts .

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Yeah, the flannel does have a tendency to pill over time. And I was unaware of JD's superhumid jungle location. Maybe what JD really needs is some mosquito netting and a glucose IV.

How about those sheets they make out of T-shirt material? Has anyone ever tried those?

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I second Westin beds, and I also love the new Marriott beds. Similar to a Westin bed (probably one step below) for way cheaper. The Marriott beds have the pillowtop, the big fluffy comforter, and all the pillows.

Draft saved Draft deleted