1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bed-buying advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I don't know about their beds, but the one piece of furniture we bought there now holds underwear in my walk-in closet, as it's unsuitable for public viewing. And the drawers are falling apart.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You gotta be kidding me.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I've got one ... incredible freakin' bed.

4. three_bags_full

How much do they cost?

5. Xsportschick

Xsportschick Member

Be willing to spend decent ($600-800) on a mattress/boxspring.

New York Times recently ran a piece saying super-expensive mattresses don't last any longer or give a better sleep experience than those in the mid-range, if I recall correctly.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Depends on the model. Top of the line can run more than two grand.

7. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I bought a Stearns and Foster mattress a couple of years ago and it is absolutely outstanding. Spending the extra money on it was the best decision I ever made because the back ache I used to have is gone and I enjoy every night on the new mattress.

I kept my old bed for my guest room and I can't believe that I ever slept on it.

Spend the money. Get something great. The mattress might run $800, but it is worth it.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Exactly. Your bed has a huge impact on how you'll feel all day. It's not an area to skimp on.

9. three_bags_full

We bought a down pillowtop for ours. It's served us well, so far.

10. I just bought a king mattress/box spring for $1,100. Never paid that much for one before, but I think it was worth it.

The thing is, that was one of the cheaper ones. You can go well over two bills for a king or California king if you want.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I have the 3000 model, which is the cheapest. I spent about $1,200 for a queen. What makes it cheaper? Well, you still get the same product, just not the number indicator on the control, so I have no idea what my "sleep number" is. But I haven't had to mess with it at all for the last two years.

It's the best money I've spent in my life. I'd drive four hours leaving at midnight to get home and sleep in that bed rather than spend a night in a hotel bed. I haven't had to go back to the chiropractor since my SelectComfort bed arrived 3 1/2 years ago.

It comes with a pedestal that you have to put together and it all fits on a regular bed frame. (They should pay me for this testimonial, no?)

12. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

A lot of the furniture places will give you some kind of deal, allowing you to finance the thing in house with no interest for six months or a year. This will allow you to spend a little more than you have.

If $$$$ is a problem, ask them at the store. They are usually willing to come up with something to help you out.

Also, don't take the listed price as being the bible. Most furniture places are in such bad shape that they won't let a customer out the door.

Draft saved Draft deleted