1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Becoming a vegetarian

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Mar 7, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If I'm doing the cooking and I decide to go vegan (given that I'm already a vegetarian), that's all I'm cooking. If my boyfriend refuses to cook meat for himself, then he's eating what I'm making.

I'm not cooking two different meals (esp. given that a vegetarian meal can't be prepared in the same pot or with the same utensils as a meat one) just because somebody is "repulsed" by cooking.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Can people actually BE vegetarians? We're carnivores. You can't NOT be a carnivore just because you don't eat meat. From a copy editor standpoint, would it be correct to say people practice vegetarianism or veganism?

3. BRoth

BRoth Member

You'll have to forgive me if all this has been touched on, but I skipped to the end to add my .02.

The Lady Friend started eating vegetarian a few months ago and it hasn't been so bad for me. I try to be supportive and we share a lot of food that we cook for her, which really isn't that bad. At worst, I'll just cook some meat and add it to a dish we make.

Some of the meat substitutes we've had have been kind of good. Morningstar has been close enough to the real thing.

It's definitely not the case that you should feel bad about eating meat, so long as you are supportive if you want to. Just because you try the food doesn't mean you have to swear by it.

I do have to admit, though, that when The Lady Friend went on vacation for a week, I only ate steak, chicken and stir fry (with vegetables and other things, of course) for dinner every night.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Would you be against someone changing a religion for a partner? Or someone changing cities because their significant other gets a better job?

This isn't that different. Doc's Catholic, so on Friday's during Lent we don't eat meat. I'm not catholic. But I do it to support him, and as a result, it makes it so we never cheat during Lent on the Friday meat business.

I don't see much of a difference. That's a major change for me because I don't have a lot of non-meat recipes under my belt to cook, but we get by because it's what a significant other does for one another. They support each other and more times than people around here are willing to admit, that means changing with your significant other, even if it means a major change for you.

5. sportschick

We're actually omnivores, not carnivores, like bears.

6. rube

rube Active Member

I'm not a vegetarian but I really stay away from red meat as a rule. Not that I'm health or morally conscious about it or anything, but I just feel like I've just added 12 pounds of dead weight every time I eat it.
    I've always ate a lot of fruit and veggies and usually chicken or fish ... and the veggies combined with that lean protein is -- what I've found anyway -- the best way to maximize energy and not drag ass all the time.
    Nobody enjoys a meat sweat.

7. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I last ate meat on Victoria day weekend 1974 (a foot-long hotdog in Bracebridge, Ont).

I have a cameo in Mrs Friendless's book, just out in Canada.

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Susan+Bourette&Go.x=14&Go.y=8&Go=Go

In the U.S. it comes out in a little bit.

http://www.amazon.com/Meat-Love-Story-Susan-Bourette/dp/0399154868/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205012413&sr=8-1

I am, of course, the butt of all jokes. Swell.

YD&OHS, etc

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'd change to Latvian Orthodox, but that's about it.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If you're making the change out of a willingness to support your partner and/or an effort to try living life differently for whatever reason, that's fine. If you're making a change because you feel forced to because you detest cooking or you don't want to make waves in a relationship, that's a problem.

Relationships have to have give and take. It can't all be give and it can't all be take.

10. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I mention in my post about being supportive...

Forever_Town basically echoed the response I was going to give to this... I don't have a problem with doing something to support someone because you want to, but feeling like you have no choice, as was expressed in the opening post, is what I don't understand...

11. sportschick

Then he should do his own cooking instead of being dependent on someone else.

This is not difficult. You refuse to cook, you eat what I make. Period. Just like when you were 5 and you had to eat cabbage because that's what Mom made for dinner, even though you hated it.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I would have just thrown it at my brother. He was a dweeb.

Draft saved Draft deleted