1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Becoming a vegetarian

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

When you get hungry.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Or learn how to start it in the kitchen and finish on the grill.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

First down, I think you started off badly with this sentence and people kinda pounced on it. :

There's nothing beyond your control here.

Nothing "dictates" that you become a vegetarian.

I'm with some of the others who suggest you learn to cook.

Here's some advice:

All you need is a repetoire of 1/2 dozen techniques and you'll be fine.

Learn to sautee, roast, and braise.

There's very little you can cook without onions and garlic.

Quite often, the cheaper cuts of meat are the most flavourful.

Fish is fast and easy.

Breakfast for dinner is always fun.

Garnish like crazy and they'll think you slaved for hours. :)

Buy yourself a basic cookbook --Joy of Cooking may be a bit intimidating but Mark Bittman's "How To Cook Everything" is pretty solid

It's FUN and if you're stressed out at the end of a day, it's like gardening: it can be therapeutic.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Yes, it is within my control whether or not to cook, but I will say that I've made it clear that I don't like doing it. It's not FUN to me. And I don't object to trying this new diet.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's the same thing the Donner party said. Just sayin.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Cut (out) that meat!
    Cut (out) that meat!

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Isn't that an important part of a relationship?
    No wonder things didn't work out.

8. rube

rube Active Member

Equitable division of labor!?!?!! Seriously? And you still have a girlfriend!??! Good God man, I'm surprised you haven't gotten MORE ripped on this thread. This is absolutely ridiculous. Stop acting like a 2-year-old, grow up, we all have to do things we "are repulsed by."

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I may have to do things I am repulsed by, but cooking isn't one of them. My girlfriend likes to cook. She did before she met me. She would cook even if I weren't there. So we agreed that cooking would be a good thing for her to handle. We also agreed that I would do the laundry and she would fold it, and I would do the driving on long trips because she can't stand it. I don't understand your objection.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The conversation during that first date must have been scintillating.
    'I don't like to cook. It repluses me.'
    'That's OK. I like to cook, but I don't like driving long distances. Also, I like to fold laundry, but I'm morally offended by putting clothes into the washing machine, moving them from the washer to the dryer and taking them out of the dryer.'
    'No problem. I think I can take care of those functions if you're willing to X#$% in the ^&*%.'

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I suppose, if that conversation had taken place on the first date, it would have seemed odd. Mostly we just discovered along the way what each other's likes or dislikes were, and because we care, we were both more than happy to pick up the other's slack because making life easier is a good thing.

12. I found this and the dishes thread (though I realize that one was mostly in jest) curious, to say the least.

The Future Mrs. Omar is back in school, taking some tough classes, working four 10-hour shifts and basically planning our wedding. I pitch in by doing the lion's share of the cleaning and laundry, and probably 95 percent of the cooking.

I guess that makes me the man-wife?

Draft saved Draft deleted