1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Becoming a vegetarian

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Mar 7, 2008.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I have no objection to the inhumane slaughter of animals for meat, nor have I been sold on the health benefits of cutting out meat from my diet. Circumstances beyond my control -- my girlfriend has decided to take the plunge and she's the only one around here who cooks -- dictate that I will probably, for the most part, become a vegetarian. Anyone ever done this before? What should I expect?

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

You should expect what's remaining of your shriveled up balls to die and fall off the vine...

OR

You could grow a sack, learn to cook a little and not let your sloth dictate your eating habits :)

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Expect not to eat meat, poultry or fish, and if she tries to be a vegan, no dairy or egg either... It's kind of that simple.

Not sure why her eating habits have to dictate what you eat, though. I dated someone on and off for seven years and I was a vegetarian the whole time. She wasn't--she mostly ate seafood, which I won't touch (and yeah, it does gross me out, but I somehow got over it because I wanted to be with her).

It wasn't an issue between us. It doesn't have to be an issue, unless either person dictates that their eating habits have to be the eating habits for both of you. I actually had my own pots and pans to cook in. But other than that, I was easy-going enough to say, "I can control what I put into me. I am not going to try to control what she puts into herself." I cared for her for other reasons, I guess.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sounds like your goose is cooked.

Got no experience being a vegetarian. Maybe you can still inhumanely slaughter animals just for fun, though.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Cooking isn't that difficult. In fact, most of the time, it's pretty easy. Man up and fend for your own damn self.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

It's not sloth, it's what I consider an equitable division of labor. Plus, it's not that I don't get any enjoyment out of cooking, it's that I am actively repulsed by the activity.

Ragu, I wasn't implying that there would be an issue between us. I'm not resentful at all. It's not like I ever said, "I'll give up meat when you pry this T-bone from my cold, dead hands." I just wanted to know if anyone had ever made the transition and noticed any tangible difference in their physical well-being or energy level, etc., as the veggos claim.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You are repulsed by cooking?

I bet you really hate cleaning.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You can expect to see lots of pictures like this on this thread:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I don't mind cleaning. I do the dishes and the bathroom, and I get the stuff off the high shelves, move heavy objects and take out the trash.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How are you repulsed by cooking? That's the oddest thing I've ever heard.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

so cleaning the toilets is ok, stirring tuna and mayo together is repulsive?

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Not in the sense that I'm disgusted, but I just really hate the process. Perhaps it is an idiosyncrasy, but I doubt it's the oddest one you've ever heard of.

Draft saved Draft deleted