1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Becoming a beat writer/columnist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ksu_jeff, Jun 29, 2006.

1. ksu_jeff

ksu_jeff Guest

What do you guys think about beat writers/columnists? It sounds like a great job on the outside -- covering a team, interviewing players, etc. -- but when you really break it down, how good of a job is it?

2. JME

JME Member

Release the hounds!!

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Hate to burst your bubble, but it is not just beat writers and columnists that have no nightlife, don't see their families and don't get to watch other sports. As for following your favorite team, that really shouldn't be your concern if you are a beat writer for another team.
    This job is what it is, you have to love not only sports, but people and writing.
    Good luck.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You could always get a nice 9-5 job selling insurance and dream that you sell enough life policies to earn a trip to the national convention in Branson, Mo.

5. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

The national convention is in BRANSON this year?

Where do I sign up?

6. JME

JME Member

Hey, that's wrong! I was just in Branson, and let me tell you something ... OK, Branson pretty much sucks.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You probably neglected to go to the Glenn Campbell theatre.

8. JME

JME Member

I neglected to go to any of the theaters, actually.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Or the Yakov Smirnoff Theater, which is right down the street.

After all, isn't everything right down the street from everything else in Branson?

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

This one actually sounds to me less like the kid wants to find out out to get into the biz and more like the kid has a paper due on "dream jobs" (pros and cons, please) in the next day or two.

Are we supposed to be the credible sources for this? How many pages does it have to be? Double spaced? Times New Roman?

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I always preferred Arial on my college papers. Eh, to each their own, I guess.

And, kid, don't forget the proper MLA style. Wouldn't want you getting an F on the paper.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I was always in favor of the New York font. It was a serif, so easy to read, but it wasn't the cliched Times. And it was just slightly bigger :D

Draft saved Draft deleted