1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beckham to MLS?!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by nafselon, Jan 11, 2007.

1. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

I'm not much of a soccer guy, but this seems like a pretty big deal. I'd say this is pretty much soccer's last chance in this country. If it doesn't work after this, it'll never work. I'm just not sure if one player can bring as much legitimacy as is needed here, but I'll watch with an interested eye.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, puh-leese.

Just because it's not one of the big three doesn't mean that soccer's "going away."

Drive around your neighborhood.

3. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

I didn't say anything about it going away, just that it won't be the mainstream success it was once assured of being.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'd say just about every high school and college in America playing it makes it somewhat of a mainstream hit. Not to mention the millions of rugrats out there every Saturday morning.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I don't think soccer was ever assured of being a mainstream success, and I'm scratching my head as to who would have said that.

This does give the MLS a chance of acheiving a breakthrough. With the level of play having increased to where European teams now scout the MLS, and players that have only played in MLS previously are attracting attention abroad, this gives the League a chance to show to the casual fan though Beckham's presence how the product on the field has improved markedly since the league's inception.

6. Kable

Kable Member

It was probably a typo. The Galaxy meant $2.5 million. (sarcasm)

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If anyone ever expected Americans to sway to the music in Salt Lake City like they do at Old Trafford, they were out of their minds. Too many options for the sports entertainment dollar here for that to happen.

MLS has its niche. It can get a bit bigger. It won't explode.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Faulty analogy, Shotty.

In SLC it is unwritten law you have to sway to Donny & Marie's music.

"You'll never Puppy Love alone."

9. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

I guess I can't make a direct quote here, but it seems like I heard on more than one occasion that soccer would take over. Maybe I'm not remembering this correctly, but it seems to me that 10-15 years ago that's what was being said by the big-time soccer fans.

And if high schools and college all playing soccer makes it a mainstream hit, then volleyball qualifies as well, right? All I'm saying is that the pro game hasn't done very well. As shotglass said, it has its niche. Maybe this Beckham thing will make it bigger.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

If he continues to fall out of favor in Madrid, I could see him getting here earlier than expected.

Or maybe the Spice Boy wants to skip the scorching heat of June and July.

11. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

That was my quote, and I stand by it. Beckham's been a fixture in the US tabloids for years; he's famous here not so much for his soccer, but for simply being a good-looking celebrity with a good-looking celebrity wife. Gretzky might have been a bigger star among American sports fans, but among the general population? I don't think so. Beckham is Hollywood, sex appeal, style -- he transcends sports (which is good for him, because he's not as great at soccer as he is at being a celebrity).

Simple question: Would the Gretzky trade, had it happened today, have been the lead story on CNN.com or been the talk of "Good Morning America"? I'm not sure it would have been as big as this.

12. yes.

I realize it's been awhile. But when the Gretzky trade came down, it was the lead story everywhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted