1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Because I didn't want to threadjack ....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Nov 24, 2006.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Let me preface by saying there are two words that I find nearly impossible to say -- the C word and the N word. I can be pretty foul-mouthed, but those two, I just don't use.

I don't think even the C word has quite the same impact as the N word. Is it really a putdown of all women, or just the target. Same with bitch. That one I will use and I don't feel that I am demeaning all women because I call one a bitch. I do feel using the N word is putting down all black people. The meanings of the words are just different, at least in my mind.

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Wasn't that Lenny's point?

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

This seems to presume you can affectionately call someone a pussycat.

4. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Is there a comparative male version of the c-word?

I was talking about that on a date the other night...

5. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

My bad. I missed your point (and changed my previous post).

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, no doubt the object of the epithet will express just as much outrage, but I still see the C word as an insult directed at one person, not necessarily an indication of sexism, while the use of the N word indicates some level of racism.

But yes, we definitely get far to worked up over words, and the wrong ones at that.

7. Stupid

Stupid Member

A couple of things:

For those offended by the "c-word," never go to Australia. everyone over there is "an old c*nt" or "a daft c*nt" or whatever adjective you prefer to use. At least that was the case in 1991 when I spent six months on the continent. I had to remember on my return to the US that it doesn't matter if you're referring to a male friend in a good-natured way, most women lock up when they hear that word.

Secondly, I disagree that Richards will now be known for this outburst over being Kramer. And while his career has been crap since he was Kramer, it's not over because if Seinfeld ever decides he wants to do a reunion show, then Richards will have a job.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yes, he offensive "c" word in England/Scotland is "cow".

9. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Richards didn't die at the end of Problem Child, did he?

All this talk about his stint on Seinfeld...he was also pretty amazing as a bow-tied killer.

10. If people are offended by the "C" word or the "N" word - then I suggest you skip anything written by James Ellroy or Mario Puzo. But if you do - then you will be missing some of the best writing of the past 50-years.

And if you are ultra-PC - then I wonder how you feel about Huckleberry Finn?

Fall is the best time for book burning I guess.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Chris, in the use of those words in great literature, I'm fairly sure that they are used to indicate the lack of breeding/civility in those characters using the words.

Draft saved Draft deleted