1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beautiful gold, so-so silver and shameful bronze: The running Olympics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not really. We all know a guy named Chevy and plenty of people with the surname of Dodge and Ford.

SC, the US hasn't put out a decent kit in years. That's the same home uni they've worn for a few months' worth of friendlies and a couple of prelim CONCACAF World Cup matches. The road kit is only slightly better.

2. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Re: Beautiful gold, so-so silver and shameful bronze: The running Olympics threa

The Under-23 men's national teams play at the Olympics. That's why you don't recognize many of the American guys. Some of them -- like Adu, Altidore, Michael Bradley and Danny Szetela -- now play in Europe. Marvell Wynne (Jr.) and former No. 1 draft pick Maurice Edu are with Toronto, so they don't get as much of the already-limited Major League Soccer press. Others, like Sacha Kljestan, aren't particularly big names in MLS anyway.

Brian McBride is one of the over-age players, and I suspect you'd know him if you saw him. He's been in Europe for the past few years, but started with the Columbus Crew and just signed to come back to MLS.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: Beautiful gold, so-so silver and shameful bronze: The running Olympics threa

Lopez Lomong will carry the flag for the US on Friday.

He's a member of Team Darfur and former "lost boy of the Sudan."

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

He is such a fantastic story. I'm ecstatic that he was chosen to carry the flag.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

And one of three naturalized citizens who will run the 1,500 for the US.. led by Bernard Lagat who will win both the 1,500 and the 5,000.

6. Inky_Wretch

Heard Christine Brennan on the radio this morning, she said the opening ceremony was the best she'd ever seen. Said the first 20 minutes are just incredible.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

The photos I've seen look pretty incredible.

Was it shown live here? Is there a replay tonight?

8. Inky_Wretch

Not live. NBC has it at 7:30 pm Eastern.

9. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Adrian and I are making it a date. There will be popcorn.

10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Don't miss the big ink on paper thingy. And watch at the athletes enter, walking over treated paper to make the Olympic colors with their footprints. Lots of symbolism, and China is seconds from entering the ball park.

11. exposbabe

exposbabe New Member

You know what really aggravates me about the Opening Ceremonies?
    The fact that every PR flack, Olympic Committee paper pusher, and whoever else gets to wear the gear and wave to the crowd.

For the Canadian team, there are almost as many "support personnel" as athletes.

I know they have to push paper for years and years to realize their "Olympic dream," but to me, if you don't earn your way as an athlete, you don't deserve to match. Should be an honour to wear the colours, something for which you actually have to DO something.

And the ceremonies would be a lot shorter, too.

Just my two cents'.

12. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Meanwhile, while the biggest halftime show in history continues in Beijing, CBC announcers are talking about a battle between Russia and Georgia, and CNN has video of tanks on that border. How about that Olympic truce, eh?

Draft saved Draft deleted