1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beautiful gold, so-so silver and shameful bronze: The running Olympics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: Beautiful gold, so-so silver and shameful bronze: The running Olympics threa

OK, my DirecTV guide says the closing ceremonies are live. That's not right is it? This is plausibly live, right?

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

What soccer hooligans?

You're thinking about Italy.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Mens Volley ball gold - NBC's final manipulation - do you think they would have showed it had the USA lost.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Thanks NOLU, I was going to say, this is England, not Italy or Spain.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Re: Beautiful gold, so-so silver and shameful bronze: The running Olympics threa

Now that I've had a couple of days to think about it, is winning the Olympic decathlon not the big deal it once was?

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"I call upon the YOUTH of the world to assmeble in London"

Does this disqualify Dara Torres?

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Wow, learn something new every day. I didn't realize "Among the Thugs" was a work of fiction.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think the decathlon has always been a cool event, and one that is highly respected. As I've mentioned before, when I was growing up, Daley Thompson was a national icon for his pair of gold medals, and when his pole snapped in Seoul, I felt like the air had been knocked out of me.

But it doesn't have the sizzle the 100 meters will always have.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

It certainly isn't. But it was released 18 years ago, and since then England and Britain as a whole has made major progress in policing hooliganism.

Other countries now look to our police force as an example of how to do it. There's a reason in recent years Italian, Spanish and other countries clubs have had to play games behind closed doors, and English clubs haven't.

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Unfortunately, it does seem that Clay's achievement in the decathalon is being overlooked amongst all the Phelps/Bolt hoopla. He certainly hasn't gotten the attention of say, an O'Brien back in '96.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Whoops.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

suck it, china.

Draft saved Draft deleted