1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beau Mills hits three home runs in NAIA title game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Jun 1, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I know. It's NAIA, but he's projected as a first round draft pick and he's put up insane numbers this year at Lewis-Clark State after transfering from Fresno State. He was drafted in the 44th round after high school, and he's the son of one of the Red Sox coaches.

http://naia.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/091905aab.html

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Got to watch this kid last year in the Alaska Summer League. Kid is the real deal. Had 15 HRs, next highest player had like 6 (or around there), and this was with shoulder problems for most of the season.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If he's the real deal, why did he transfer to a school in the National Association of Ineligible Athletes?

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Probably had something to do with draft status. I know NCAA D-I players are draft-ineligible for three years.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Lewis and Clark also has a recent graduate named Carlos Fisher tearing it up in the Cincy organization. Could be a really nice No. 2 starter to Homer Bailey in the future.

And yes, I play in a very nerdy, very deep NL-only fantasy league where knowledge like this is crucial.

6. sportschick

I don't know why he transferred, but if you transfer from D-I to NAIA you can play immediately, not to mention that LCSC is a better program than Fresno State.

7. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Don't you mean Not Actually Intercollegiate Athletics?

8. He transferred because there were some academic, ummm, improprieties at Fresno State. Can't remember if he just didn't go to class or was accused of cheating or what. But something along those lines.

EDIT: Found the story. Also...I found this while searching for the story: His former teammate at Fresno State, Brian Lapin, hit three bombs in WAC title game a few days ago. Had five in the tournament and only four going into the tournament.

http://www.ksee24.com/sports/default.aspx?preview=&type=sn&NStoryID=4153

May 23, 2006 - FRESNO, Calif. – Sophomore baseball player Beau Mills has been suspended for the remainder of the 2006 Fresno State season. This suspension is the result of Mills’ failure to adhere to an academic contract he signed with the athletics department early in the spring semester.

“Playing baseball at Fresno State means more than performance on the field,” said head coach Mike Batesole. “Our student-athletes must achieve in the classroom as well. All of our student-athletes have learned an invaluable life lesson today.”

Mills was informed of the suspension earlier today at a meeting involving Batesole, academic and athletic department personnel, Mills and a family representative.

“Beau has learned a difficult lesson in that academic accountability is an integral part of a student-athlete’s responsibility,” said Senior Associate Director of Athletics Betsy Mosher.

Prior to his suspension, Mills was leading the team in hitting (.355), home runs (14) and RBIs (58).

“I take full responsibility for the suspension and apologize to the athletics department, coaching staff, my teammates and my family for the situation,” Mills said. “I fully understand the academic responsibility of being a student-athlete.”

The Bulldogs (39-16) won the 2006 WAC regular season championship and host the WAC baseball tournament at Beiden Field May 25-28.

9. sportschick

Interesting. I always figured he transferred because he was either flucking out or hated the coach. Screwing around with his academic stuff makes sense too.

10. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I do not know that I would say LCSC is a better program than Fresno State. LCSC certainly is relatively more successful, but the Warriors have the benefit of playing the NAIA World Series in their backyard every year -- it's the only place the thing has drawn more than flies -- and can get just about anybody through the admissions office.

And, upon further Googling, young Mr. Mills was, indeed, at LCSC after academic issues at that Harvard of the Central Valley, Fresno State. That said, as baseball finishing schools go, LCSC is a nice place to be. Ed Cheff can coach the game and has connections most Division I coaches could only dream of.

<i>Edit: Too slow on the draw. Thanks, Leather.</i>

11. sportschick

I was probably overstating the case for LCSC's program, but then I overstate the case for Montana's football program every year too.

12. Harvard of the Central Valley...good stuff. I remember a couple of years ago they had a pitcher named Matt Garza (the Twins prospect) who didn't go to class the entire spring semester.

Draft saved Draft deleted