1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beatles, Stones or Led Zeppelin? (or someone else?)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

It has to be the Beatles simply because of their influence.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Never.

Beatles. Then Zeppelin.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hannah Montana will pass them all.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't think any of those groups are singly the best in history. I think the three of them are all share different aspects of being the best in history.

The Beatles may not have invented rock 'n' roll or pop, but they certainly paved the way for just about everyone else. From melodic tunes to a single song that inspired many a heavy metal band ("Helter Skelter") their influence, both as a band and individually is touched by few.

The Rolling Stones may not have been the first to break ground in the states, but they certainly wrote many a song that influenced rock tinged future generations. They provided the groundwork for much of the social commentary that came in later lyrics by future bands. They also adapted stylistically so that the never really became a nostalgia act. Granted, they have a long history of songs, but they found a way to make themselves relevant long past the times when their contemporaries stopped being relevant.

Led Zeppelin provided hard rock anthems with sprawling stories behind them. Anyone who wants a crash course in Tolkien's world can listen to "The Battle of Evermore" and get some idea. Viking imagery ran rampant through "The Immigrant Song" and "Stairway To Heaven" is so widely acknowledged as an epic that they could have ended their careers with that one song and still would have been influential.

The strengths of these three bands complimented one another and forged a path for many of the acts of yesterday and today. They'll probably continue to be influences on tomorrow's better groups.

In other words, my answer is: None of the above. And ALL of the above.

5. Kar33mSkyhook

Kar33mSkyhook Member

WHAT? you are insane.
    Led Zeppelin is better than these two acts. The Beatles were great too but not as great as Zeppelin. The Stones, well, I'm not a fan so I can't observe their greatness.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Got to be the Beatles, though I find I listen to both the Stones (my personal favorite) and Zeppelin more. Many of the arguments made above don't need to be re-stated.

I'll say this ... Sgt. Pepper's? One of the most overrated albums of all-time. If it wasn't for Pink Floyd's The Wall, it would be the most overrated.

I understand its influence, but many individual songs just flat out suck. Many are great too, but there are at least five Beatles albums I go to first when getting my fix.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The Beattles do suck donkey balls. The Beatles, though, are solid.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

9. redsox99

redsox99 Member

Is this thread for best band ever? It's Zep
    Most influential? Beattles
    Most overrated? Stones

10. Kar33mSkyhook

Kar33mSkyhook Member

Damn, you got me!
    Why am I even on a journalism board? I'm even a journalist.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

They DO still rock in America after all.

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I agree. But I'd argue (and I know I'll get some flack) that The Dark Side of the Moon is as good of an album as anything put out by The Beatles or Zeppelin. Hauntingly beautiful piece of music.

Biggest problem with Floyd was they were too psychedelic with Barrett and too ambitious with Gilmour.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted