1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beat writer, Boise State University

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Jan 15, 2013.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

...at the Idaho Press Tribune

I'm not all that familiar with the IPT but the pay shown on the jj.com site is $25K to $30K, which is the same pay scale for that twice-weekly gig in Oregon that was just posted. Hmm....

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1452963

Idaho Press-Tribune seeks a strong reporter and talented writer to cover Boise State University sports.Qualified applicants must have sports writingexperience; photo, digital and social media skills; travel and work a varied schedule covering the Boise State Broncos. Must be able to travel and deliver fast and accurately on deadline. Sports editing and design skills a big plus. Located in Nampa about 20 miles from Boise, the state capital, the area offers national-caliber entertainment options, a four-season climate that provides close access to skiing and other winter sports, urban recreation, and nearby camping and warm-weather outdoors activities, a wide range of parks and related amenities as well as safe schools and neighborhoods. Send resume, cover letter explaining why you are the best candidate to cover Boise State football, basketball and other sports for a media outlet that reaches 110,000 unduplicated readers weekly, and 5-10 examples of your best work to: Managing Editor Vickie Holbrook, vholbrook@idahopress.com. Application deadline: Jan. 28.

2. A bit disconcerting the ME is the first point of contact for a writer position. You'd think this job would pay a bit more than several years ago.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing. C'mon, it's Boise State. Getting to be a major Division I school. I would think 30-35K would be more appropriate. Anyone know cost of living in the Boise-Nampa area?

4. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Must be able to travel, but I wonder if a 25K salary actually includes traveling with the football and basketball teams on the road for all games or if it's one of those travel regionally kind of deals.

5. writingump

writingump Member

Are there any conference games you'd actually travel to at this paper? It's not like there are many (if any) MWC schools within driving distance of Nampa/Boise. That being said, this wouldn't be the worst gig around. Boise State is becoming more than just football.

6. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

It looks like they sent someone to the recent bowl game, but the men's basketball game at Wyoming (on the website) was AP. Now, do they send a reporter to other MWC cities not called Laramie? I don't know. The website wouldn't let me go too far back in the search.

7. With a $27K salary, you'll have to save a bit to have enough cash flow to wait to get reimbursed.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Had a series of interviews there for a job in 2008. The person who was sports editor at that time is no longer at the paper. Ended up reluctantly turning down an offer when they couldn't go higher than $12/hour. So the salary listed here is not surprising.

The paper is the No. 2 paper in the market (Nampa is about 20-30 miles west of Boise). At the time, they staffed BSU home games for football and men's basketball (as scheduling allowed) and did some features. Maybe travel to a bowl game (depends on location, lots of cheap flights to Las Vegas), but not regular-season road games. Do some features, but not expected to do anything in the way of breaking news, investigative, etc.

I suspect the reporter for this position will also pitch in on preps/GA/copy desk. It's not like you're running 2-3 BSU stories every day. It's a SMALL paper that just happens to be within driving distance of Boise, rather than out in the sticks.

Cost of living seemed reasonable compared to many other places.

9. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

When I used to travel on an MLB beat, I had a credit card that I used solely for traveling. Then I would pay it off when I got reimbursed. That way you're not having to scrimp and save until the reimbursement check comes in.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Personal credit card? Or company card? Either way, pretty good move.

11. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

personal card

12. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Damn. I made more in Twin Falls and we didn't have no D-I college. Oughta tell ya something.

Draft saved Draft deleted