1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beat Reporter For Michigan Website And Publication

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Stu Coman, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Stu Coman

Stu Coman New Member

We are seeking a sports reporter to primarily cover Michigan football and basketball for TheWolverine.com, a website in the Rivals network, and The Wolverine, a monthly publication.

Duties include breaking and reporting news, writing articles and columns for the website, the monthly magazine and a football preview, assisting with football and basketball game and press conference coverage, compiling notes, interacting on message boards, promoting the site and publications through social media, and appearing on radio shows and podcasts.

Requirements include previous newspaper or website writing experience, strong reporting skills, attention to detail, a "bulldog" work ethic and the ability to work under deadlines. Knowledge of and passion for Michigan sports is a plus, but not a requirement.

Competitive salary plus excellent benefit package, which includes: medical, life, dental and short- and long-term disability insurance; profit sharing; and retirement plan. Office is located in Ann Arbor, less than a mile from campus.

Send resume and several clips to jobs@thewolverine.com.

2. I've interviewed with Stu a couple of times and stayed in touch with him. A+ person. Good opportunity here.

3. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

Anyone receive an update on this one? Sounds like a pretty cool gig.

4. RLindz

RLindz New Member

I checked in about two weeks ago. No response.

5. mmowery23

mmowery23 New Member

I made contact and got no response, either. Which is too bad. Sounded like a good gig.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

No disrespect toward Stu, this is more a general rant.

I know some people can be rather busy that handle these job openings, but my biggest pet peeve is when a person doesn't respond. You can't handle the load of messages, just say "no calls or e-mails". I can respect that. When you don't respond, it makes me wonder if my e-mail went straight to the spam folder.

Tom Ato and RLindz like this.
  7. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

Hate that you and RLindz got the same response I did. Which is, you know, none.

8. RLindz

RLindz New Member

FWIW — one of their reporters was touting "the new guy" on Twitter a few days after the opening was posted. "New guy" did work for them in the spring, so I figured it was unrelated. I don't think that's the case any longer.

9. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

I believe this might be the tweet in question:

10. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

If you go by the timeline here, it appears he was bumped up to full-timer within just days of this job being posted on here.

It's almost like they went, "Let's start taking applications for this opening!"

And days later they went, "Hey, what are we doing? We already have someone on staff we can promote! Why did we post this thing in the first place? LOL."

11. Position has been filled!

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

You're hired!

Now fetch me a beer, newb!

Andrew Vailliencourt likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted