1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bears Undefeated

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sheos, Oct 16, 2006.

1. how dumb was lovie smith for not kicking the field goal on fourth and 10?

i can't believe theismann said it was the right decision. the bears would be sitting here 3 points down...

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Holy shit. Two turnovers and now Hester takes it to the house.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm writing one of those columns for tomorrow.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Rex Grossman owes an icy cold mug of brew to a lot of his defensive players tonight.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Forget that, he owes them a complete steak dinner with the brews.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

And how. I hope Bears fans don't run with this and think they're the second coming. All in all, it was a pretty shit-ass performance.

Of course knowing Bears fans as I do, of course I know they'll run with this and think they're the second coming. They're good, defense is very good, but they're nothing more than that yet.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

So much for that.

8. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

d_b reports Dewey defeats Truman!

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

As horseshit as Grossman looked tonight, this is the kind of game that defines a season. I'm not as big a Bearnfanboyloser as I am a Cubfanboyloser but this could wind up being a pretty special year for the Bears.

In 85 the Vikings kicked the Bears' ass for two + quarters, then McMahon came off the bench and torched them for two scores the first two times he took a snap. The Bears dominated everyone but the Dolphins from that point on.

This could be the '06 version of that game for the Bears.

10. 85bears

85bears Member

I agree. I knew I'd wake up to the "team of destiny" crap this morning, though a lot of it has been tempered.

I've been telling people for the last couple of weeks that Grossman doesn't have enough games under his belt not to have a bad game, with as much responsibility as they've been putting in his hands. I'm glad they have after watching Kyle Orton last season, but you take the good with the bad with Favre-mentality quarterbacks, especially ones still learning like Grossman is.

He reminded me last night of a gambler chasing his losses. Grossman was trying to earn back every turnover with one pass, over and over and over again. They're lucky they didn't lose about 38-3 the way the offense played.

Nothing irks me more in sports journalism than people trying to read too much into one game, week after week after week, rather than trying to determine teams' bodies of work, while also realizing that anything can happen because no team is perfect.

I think it's simply human nature to try to make order out of chaos. Hence, trying to assign a rhyme or reason to the Bears winning that game.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think you should celebrate this team of obvious destiny and change your name to '06bears.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A great defense makes up for a lot of offensive mistakes. Chicago should have been behind about 35-0 at halftime but, other than Arizona's first and last drives, the Bears didn't let them do a whole lot. All their scores after the first one were on a short field.

Draft saved Draft deleted