1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bears' Tommie Harris: It's the media's fault!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Jul 24, 2007.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I doubt Harris understands the definition of yellow journalism or muckraking, but the latter is "to expose the misconduct in public life." Despite the negative connotations, that's part of our job. I guess we should just let sleeping dogs lie...

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Goalie...most of those dogs weren't just sleeping.

3. goalmouth

You're right. I was just throwing the board a bone...

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

If this is the kind of stuff you guys are going to post, then you're barking up the wrong tree.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I agree with what Harris says to a point. The following guys do not get the recognition they deserve, but the good time stories do not sell the papers. Or people just glance over the good and read the bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrick_Dunn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Blount

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_Sparrow

6. goalmouth

Hey, any good journo would stay on the trail and sniff out a good story -- unless the editor decides to bury it.

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Doggone it, I'm giving Harris a Scooby-Snack for just using the words "yellow journalism" and "muckracking." Probably less than 2% of the NFL knows what those terms are.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

A good reporter really has to dog it sometimes to dig up a good story. They have to hound sources and howl against inequities.

9. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

He's an OU alum. We're good people....

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Mr Harris must have critically read Chesterton, I look forward to Mr. Harris' published thesis on the topic:

"People accuse journalism of being too personal; but to me it has always seemed far too impersonal. It is charged with tearing away the veils from private life; but it seems to me to be always dropping diaphanous but blinding veils between men and men. The Yellow Press is abused for exposing facts which are private; I wish the Yellow Press did anything so valuable. It is exactly the decisive individual touches that it never gives; and a proof of this is that after one has met a man a million times in the newspapers it is always a complete shock and reversal to meet him in real life."
    G. K. Chesterton

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Chee... are you Charles Thompson?

For every Boz you have a J.C. Watts.

Draft saved Draft deleted