1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bears shutout = free furniture

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Perry White, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Feel-good story of the day: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060912/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_bears_furniture_1

Kendall County furniture store owner and "huge Bears fan" Randy Gonigam got tired of players bragging about their defense, so he decided to put his money where their mouths are. Over Labor Day weekend, Gonigam's World Furniture Mall in Plano offered customers free furniture — up to $10,000 — if the Bears shut out the Green Bay Packers in their season opener. Four quarters, 206 customers and about $300,000 later, Gonigam is still a little shell-shocked.
    But the fact that it was a long shot didn't keep him from insuring the store for up to $300,000 worth of furniture with a company that specializes in insuring prize reimbursements.
    Customer and expectant mother Kathleen Spayer, 40, of Sugar Grove went back into the store Monday to make sure her $5,000 master bedroom suite was really free.

"It's the luckiest year of my life," she said.

Plano is about 45 miles southwest of Chicago.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Do the Bears players get anything for the win?

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

Yeah, they get to keep their jobs, complete with fat, multi-million dollar contracts.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's cool. Some insurance dude is gonna get canned for providing that policy when the Bears were playing the crummy Packers, though.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Kansas City did that a while back against the Chargers. Won something like 34-0. A couple of times late in the game, San Diego was inside the KC 10 but opted to go for the touchdown instead of an easy field goal. I'm sure someone at the furniture store was screaming:

"KICK THE FUCKING FIELD GOAL!"

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

The guy was on Countdown with KO last night. Good free pub for sure.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Wonder if he's still as big a Bears fan now. Neat story, though.

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

As a Bears fan, I love this guy.

As a fan of free stuff, I love this guy.

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

The cool thing is, if you live in a city with a good team and this sort of promotion pops up again, especially against the Packers, you might roll the dice and see if you get lucky. I know I would.

10. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

History unlikely to repeat itself: http://www.deadspin.com/sports/nfl/never-ever-bet-on-the-texans-200880.php

"[Gallery Furniture] is running a promotion this week that awards anyone who buys more than $3,000 worth of furniture will receive it free if ... the Texans beat the Colts this week"

Draft saved Draft deleted