1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beale St or Broadway ?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Feb 4, 2013.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'd drive over to West Memphis and pay real, cash money to see them at the dog track. First two rounds would be on me.

And this might be hard to believe but Mississippi has a vibrant Jewish history and I say this as one of the unchosen people.

Pre-Civil War Delta had large Jewish populations on both sides of the River. Not to sound like a stereotype but those bankers, lawyers and merchants that lived there before the war weren't originally natives and many of them were Jewish.

Places like Vicksburg Greenville, Helena, Blytheville, etc, all still have temples, even though they don't have regular rabbis or large congregations.

Vicksburg still has a large Jewish summer camp that as far as I know is active.

2. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

This thread is three pages and no one has yet suggested these intrepid travelers to the city of my birth dine on ground beef cooked in 100-year-old grease at Dyer's Burgers downtown?

I'll second TBF's Central BBQ suggestion. I lived in a house on Philadelphia Street off Central about a block or two away when I was a mini-Pencil Dick.

Avoid Leonard's Pit Barbecue despite its reputation. Two friends had their debit card numbers stolen there last year.

Go have the BBQ Spaghetti at Neely's just to say you did.

I've never had a thing I didn't enjoy at Huey's downtown or at Overton Square.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

What about the media and entertainment industries?

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Except Fresno, which is 10 minutes from Tahoe.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Wasn't the Fresno Bee the genesis of the 15-minutes-from-Tahoe running joke?

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Mississippi Delta comedians?

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The best ...

[​IMG]

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Boom, have you tried the Southern-fried kreplach?

9. Boom_70

No but they sure sound good.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Venison is kosher, right?

11. Boom_70

Did you tear your bicep?

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I didn't say it was the nicest in the South, just the "signature" hotel (i.e., most famous). Largely for the ducks. Also, Babe Ruth stayed there.

Draft saved Draft deleted