1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beacon Journal Cutbacks Hit Browns Writer?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OhioHack, Aug 15, 2006.

1. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Interesting stuff, Ohiowriter, thanks for the head's up. I'd assume the PD would reorganize some stuff then? Are you privy to that info?

2. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Livingston has been there forever too and might do it.

3. Tiger16

Tiger16 Member

I've never heard of the author, but it appears he spoke directly to McManamon. The details of why and what were pretty similar to what I had already heard.

4. WordMP

WordMP New Member

It seems the number at the ABJ is going to be around 40 and include 9 managers. The announcement is supposed to come in the next week. McManamon is at the bottom of the seniority list due to his departure to Browns.com for more than year about three years ago. If the reporter hits are deep enough, Brian Windhorst on the Cavaliers and Tom Reed, the award-winning columnist, also could be out. Sad situation there. Two or three other younger sportswriters will be out, too.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

besides being a top-notch beat man, pat is also one of the truly fine people in the biz. just wanted to add my 2 cents that this would be a crying shame. :'( :'( :'(

6. How big is the ABJ sports staff?

7. Ohiowriter

Ohiowriter Member

The ABJ has about 10 writers including columnists, they used to have around 20 about 10 years or so ago. I guess they're afraid of losing three writers with Mcmanamon being the highest profile person with maybe a few prep writers. Brian Windhorst and Tom Reed, I hear, are safe because they've both been there like seven years or so. There is still a chance they'll have buyouts, which might bring Sheldon Ocker into play. He's been their Indians writer for like 25 years. Doesn't leave much of a sports staff there does it? And to think that was an annual APSE top 10 daily and Sunday just a few years ago.

No way Livingston takes the buyout at the PD, he has a kid in college. Graef and Sweda I'm pretty sure of.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Couple things might save his job, depending on how the union contract is written.
    If he left for Browns.com and came back, the contract might guarantee his seniority if he returned within x period. For example, if I worked at a place for 10 years, left for 23 months and returned to the place, I would keep the 10 years seniority if the contract has a clause saying anyone leaving and returning within two years maintains the seniority. Two years and a week would be a week.
    Another is where is his job classification on the food chain. If it's reporter, then copy editor, then paginator, for example, and he has more seniority than two copy editors, he might be able to bump to keep his job. Won't keep him on the Browns beat, but it might keep him employed -- even if it's designing lifestyle pages.
    Some places also don't make the distinction between departments. Reporters are lumped into one class, not news, sports, features, business. Might mean he's covering city council or arts, but it a job.
    All depends on how the contract is written

9. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Plus McManamon was gone less than a year. Left the BJ before training camp '04 and was back before or just after the draft in '05.

10. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

If Tom Reed is let go by the ABJ, he'll be unemployed for about 15-30 seconds.

(No, I'm not him.)

11. The_Equalizer

The_Equalizer Member

You speak the truth, Satch.

12. No doubt on Reed, same goes with Windhorst. Both would have no problems finding another, perhaps better, gig elsewhere. Good writers and even better reporters.

Draft saved Draft deleted