1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beacon Journal Cutbacks Hit Browns Writer?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OhioHack, Aug 15, 2006.

1. OhioHack

OhioHack New Member

Check it out ... they may lay off Pat McManamon.

http://browns.scout.com/2/556815.html

2. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I'll believe the author of that article is plugged into the Beacon Journal situation when he identifies the correct owner.

3. OhioHack

OhioHack New Member

Then check out this thread ... it's got an ominous note from the ME.

http://mb25.scout.com/fbrownsinsiderfrm15.showMessage?topicID=61184.topic

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The ABJ would be absolutely crazy to let him go. Love reading his work, and he does a hell of a job. I'd have about zero reasons to go read the ABJ again if they let him go. Being that he's a pretty popular guy on one of the paper's top beats period, I'd be surprised if they got rid of him.

5. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

This would be a big blow if they laid him off. I know Pat went to go work for Clevelandbrowns.com in 2004 and then came to the paper a year later.
    You have to wonder who else the BJ would lay off if they are thinking about him also. I know there were a lot of surprising layoffs the last time the paper did it in 2001.

6. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Say what you want about Rivals/Scout/fan message boards but I think it's pretty cool that the loss of a daily paper's beat writer get 20 or so responses. Hopefully he'll land somewhere.

7. I read his first-and-10 every week. That would be insane if it happened. ... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he is OK. I used to be in a notes network with him. Class act.

8. Balki

Balki New Member

Doesn't mean they'd be cutting Browns coverage, just letting go an experienced writer who got the short end of the seniority stick on a technicality. I'm sure they'd pick up Browns coverage with another writer.

9. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

There's definitely a strong possibility Pat could be gone, but it's also possible the paper could announce a buyout plan this week so he might be saved. Marla Ridenour would take over Browns coverage, like she did when Pat left for Clevelandbrowns.com in 2004.

10. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

I know when Pat left two years ago, that Marla didn't want to be the No. 1 writer or do it every day. Plus she likes doing Ohio State football, which she splits with her Browns coverage.

11. busuncle

busuncle Member

I interpret this as saying that layoffs will have to be done on the basis of seniority, which would presumably put PM in the crosshairs.

12. Ohiowriter

Ohiowriter Member

Pat is very solid, if it happens it will be a significant loss. If memory serves, when he departed for the website a few years ago they offered the job to the Cleveland AP guy and he turned them down. Then they sat on the position for a year and gladly grabbed Pat back when he quit because he didn't want to be a shill anymore even if it was for six figures as rumored. This is a situation of union rules hurting the overall cause, but he is indeed the last writer hired and thus the first to go in sports.

For what it is worth there's wild rumors coming out of Akron that they could layoff anywhere from 15-50 people in the newsroom. Sports, which has been reduced from like 18 writers 10 years ago to like 10 today, is bracing for as many as three lost writers with Pat being the most high profile. I guess the paper is still making millions, but about half as many as five years ago. Someone I talked to said there might be buyouts, but with the business the way it is today I'm not sure how many people would take them.

Also the rumor is 3-4 guys on the Plain Dealer staff are planning on taking their buyout. Not sure who, but I'd guess longtime beat writers Burt Graef and George Sweda along with Bob Dolgan, who has been there like 40 years, would be on that list.

Draft saved Draft deleted