1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beach vacation help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 31, 2009.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You could join me in summer '10 in Lashkar Gah, nestled neatly on the banks of the fragrant Helmand River.

2. EStoess

EStoess Member

Second the Surf City, NC recommendation, based on your wants. And the price has got to be significantly better than OBX. Been going for 35 years and parents retired there about 10 years ago. Laid back, 25 miles of mostly rental cottages and sandy beaches along Topsail Island, one crappy grocery store, one decent grocery store, several surprisingly good restaurants, plenty of nearby golf and not far from Wilmington if you want something a little more.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I too would second the Surf City/ Topsail Beach recommendation. Miles of white sandy beaches without a lot of clutter and distraction.

Since it's next to Camp Lejeune you are also very safe from the enemy.

4. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

You're just looking for someone to pitch in on the beer. :)

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

what about bars in surf city? the wife and i are looking for somewhere new this summer instead of Fla (not gulf shores), and surf city sounds like what we're looking for -- laid back, good beaches not a huge crowd.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I mentioned Buddy's earlier as a good place to eat, and it also has a good bar. The Brass Pelican is OK. They promote XX number of TVs, but you get there and they're all 13-inchers. Pretty funny. There are a few other places, but can't think of the names. Most of the places aren't "jumpin or happnin" bars. They're somewhere to get a beer and chill.

If you do go, stop at Food Lion at the stop light before crossing the bridge. The groceries are a lot cheaper there than at the IGA.

There is also a New York style pizza place on the island that is really good. Most of the stuff is located in the middle of the island in the Surf City area. There are some things on down toward Topsail, but not as many.

Draft saved Draft deleted