1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beach Blanket Bingo -- Gulf style...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Jul 17, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ms. Slappy is Jones-ing for the beach... (am just glad she's not thinking about being a beach for Jones).
    Anyway, she always wants to go to Panama City Beach and we have for like four of the last five years -- as a kick off to football season.
    After last year and seeing how its become (Once they got rid of the Miracle Strip, why bother), we decided to go someplace else.
    So, good friends, hep me find a new place to suffer go to the beach.
    Am looking for a cheap (all things are relative), decent hotel/condo on the beach somewhere between Destin and Biloxi.. A nice town around it would be groovy; a good bar within walking distance would be even better. Nothing too ratty; nothing too yuppie....

Lil' hep???

2. Orange Beach, AL - there's a Holiday Inn Express right on the beach and a number of good bars.

3. I'd check very careful to see what's still there after last fall.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Stayed there?

5. I've been down there a few times the past few months. There is a lot of construction going on but the hotels and bars are open and the beaches are still sandy white (just don't expect any waves - it is in the Gulf).

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

This would have been a livelier thread had the title been: Beach Blanket Bingo -- Boots style

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I spring break'd in PC back in high school - What happened to the strip, slapster?

Destin is still appropriately hick without being too yuppie, isn't it?

Everybody raves about Ft. Walton Beach and Seaside, but the latter might be too yupp.

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

How's the progress on the rebuilding of the Flora-Bama, Lou???

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes dools, it would.

Anyway, She just wants to lie on the beach, walk back the 40 steps to her hotel, then back to the room.. .lather, rinse repeat....

The HI express is like 150 a night... a bit more than we wanted...

Miracle Strip is no more.. victim of development, tho the water park is there.
    PCB used to be touristy cool; kitchy....
    Now, all the old hotels are getting bought up, bulldozed and replaced by 30 story condos...with 4 story parking garages on the other side of Front Beach Road...
    As Ms. Slappy said, it makes you claustrophobic...

I have no problem with Ft. Walton Beach or Seaside; it might be yiuppie, but it will be different than PCB... We used to go so we could go to her favorite bar, Sharky's, but that's become overpriced with shitty service...

10. Lugnuts

Ms. Slappy sounds very cool.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I like to think so....even tho she has said on more than one occasion while I cruise this board "that you people need to get lives... especially you."
    Truth hurts ;)

12. Lugnuts

Mr. Lugz has pretty much said the same thing. Oh well.

Draft saved Draft deleted