1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

bcs standings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by txsportsscribe, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure. If Kansas runs the table -- the ultimate improbable scenario -- would the numbers be strong enough for the Jayhawks to crack the top two? They're still not in the top 10, and they wouldn't have too many strong wins because in a weird quirk, they miss Texas, Oklahoma and Texas Tech during the regular season. I'm not sure KU would get the nod if it ran the table.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Auburn 2004. 12-0 on the outside looking in. 13-0 finished second overall.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I don't know.

I just see OU or LSU just catching fire the last few weeks, blowing everyone off the field, and ESPN anoints them the greatest team.

Other than Tech, what tough games will BC play? And Tech's QB is hurt, isn't he?

ASU has a handful of tough games, but they will be underdogs in all of them.

I am just getting a bad feeling about how this plays out.

Then again, each Saturday, everything seems to change.

4. Fourth and 8

Fourth and 8 Member

Team on the rise:
    Texas Tech. Raiders can beat Texas, can beat Oklahoma, and thus run the table.

Team you'll see drop like a lead balloon:
    Arizona State, Kansas. Just look at their schedules.

Team that should drop:
    Ohio State. This isn't even close to last year's team that got bitchslapped in the title game, but they have that awesome Big 10 schedule to conquer. I feel scared already. This is a 7-5 team in the SEC, but here's betting Michigan beats them and if that happens and a Pac-10 team winds up in the title game, ya think App State and Michigan might make an intriguing rematch?

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

USC could have avoided that by beating crappy Stanford.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was shocked and impressed that USF got 11 first-place votes in the AP Poll.

Someone also told me that some idiot still voted LSU No. 1.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Luckily, Kansas will face someone decent in the Big XII title game, if they get that far.

8. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

That would be Jon Wilner of the SJ Merc-News, who has made his ballot a yearlong exercise in being as contrary as possible to draw attention to himself and/or his blog. He has South Carolina at number 2 - apparently that 6 point win over UNC was more impressive on the west coast than it was here.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't get the thinking that Arizona State has beaten no one, yet those "no ones" have already knocked off USC (Stanford), California (Oregon State) and Oklahoma (Colorado). ASU beat all three handily. You can't have it both ways. They've beaten no ones that have knocked off top 10 teams. ASU deserves some credit for that.

10. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

USC was undefeated. So was Oklahoma. That makes your point moot.

My post was about leaving an undefeated team out at the expense of a 1-loss team, not at the expense of another undefeated team.

Oz--I don't know about Kansas. If they go undefeated and are left out, it's another reason why preseason polls are a joke. Still, though, if they knock off Oklahoma in the Big XII title game, I think that'd be enough to propel them. With the way the top ten teams are dropping right now, and with tough schedules ahead for a lot of them, it'd be hard to imagine Kansas not moving up into the top 3-4 if they are one of the few remaining unbeaten teams.

11. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

A one-loss SEC or PAC-10 champ will hurdle both South Florida and Boston College, and maybe Ohio State, whether they lose or not. That said, I have no problem with South Florida's ranking. BC, however, hasn't earned it.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Guy in San Jose, I believe, voted LSU No. 1 and SoCar No. 2.

EDIT: Sorry Rufino, missed your post.

Draft saved Draft deleted