1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS leagues expanding - yeah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You can blame Texas (once again :) ) in 1964 for making the bowls matter.

Alabama won the national championship in the regular season by going 10-0 and finishing No. 1 in both the AP and UPI polls. But the No. 5 Longhorns beat the Tide, 21-17, in the Orange Bowl (the Sugar Bowl had a "no repeat" rule in effect, so LSU went instead), and No. 2 Arkansas beat No. 6 Nebraska, 10-7, in the Cotton Bowl. Arkansas was awarded the Grantland Rice Trophy as national champions.

Needless to say, the final polls from 1965 on out were taken after the bowls.

2. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Final poll was taken after bowls that season and then returned to pre-bowl polls in 1966 and 1967. Alabama was 11-0-0 and famously finished third in the 1966 poll behind Notre Dame and Michigan State, which played to a 10-10 tie in November.

Those teams remained 1-2 the following week while unbeaten Alabama stayed third. Notre Dame smashed USC the following week, but had a policy not to go to bowls. Michigan State also was barred from going to back-to-back Rose Bowls by Big Ten rules. So that's how they finished at the end of the regular season, and since there was no poll beyond the bowl games, Alabama had no recourse despite beating No. 6 Nebraska 34-7 in the Sugar Bowl.

Alabama ended as the only unbeaten, untied team in the nation, but had to settle for third despite recording six shutouts and outscoring the opposition 301-44. The reasons remain unclear, but some cite Alabama's weak schedule (sound familiar to Utah Boise State), which consisted entirely of teams from the South. This didn't seem to bother voters the year before when the Tide also had an all-Southern schedule, lost once and tied once and still won the national title. The Tide also had not beaten a ranked team (only 10 were ranked at the time) in 1966. Others said Alabama was being punished because Governor George Wallace's Alabama let racism and segregation run rampant. The Tide still did not have black players while Notre Dame and Michigan State did.

Alabama coach Paul "Bear" Bryant wanted to upgrade the schedule after that season and by the mid-1970s, the Crimson Tide was playing the likes of Nebraska, Notre Dame and USC among other schools outside of the South.

Since the end of the 1968 final polls have been taken after bowl games.

NCAA rules in 1966 only allowed eight national and five regional games to be broadcast - all season! Imagine that. More than that are shown on any Saturday now. The NCAA thought by showing too many games on TV, nobody would attend in person. That has sure killed interest in college football hasn't it.

Screwing teams that deserve to be No. 1 started long before the BCS and before TV contracts dominated the day.

College football has never had as much money as it has now. Conferences like the WAC are making much more than they ever made in the old days, but yes the pie is dominated by the Big Ten, SEC and other BCS conferences. There is not an equal split and may never be.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Or maybe not...

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/jun/13/fedex-denies-report-it-offering-millions-universit/

4. Football_Bat

Division I is headed to a three-tiered system — the I-A BCS schools (64), the I-A non-BCS schools (the other 64), and I-AA.

Which leads me to believe none of the 64 current BCS members will be left out in the cold. Yes, even you, Iowa State.

The number 64 is a college mathematician's wet dream, BTW.

5. Football_Bat

Which leads me further by deductive reasoning to believe that after the Pac-16, the SEC and Big 10 gorge themselves, the remaining 16 will wind up in a bastardized B12 / ACC / Big East amalgam.

In other words, BOHICA Mountain West.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm curious if NU will still be allowed to accept PE credit from junior college transfers. I'm not positive, but I think K-State, Iowa State and maybe Tech were the only other Big 12 schools allowed to do that.

7. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

I guess you won't reply to it....

8. Football_Bat

Said bastardized B12 / ACC / Big East amalgam shall consist of:

MASON DIVISION:
    Cincinnati
    Connecticut
    Iowa State
    Kansas State
    Louisville
    Missouri
    Notre Dame
    Syracuse

DIXON DIVISION:
    Clemson
    South Florida
    North Carolina
    North Carolina State
    Virginia
    Florida State
    Miami
    West Virginia

Changes:
    Kansas to the Pac 16.

Georgia Tech — to B10 (AAU member)
    Duke — to B10 (AAU member)
    Pittsburgh — to B10 (ditto)
    Rutgers — to B10 (ditto)
    That's 16 for the B10.

Virginia Tech — to SEC
    Wake Forest — to SEC
    Baylor — to SEC (because West needs a Vandy)
    Texas A&M — to SEC (because West needs a Miss Sta ... aw damn)

Bada boom, bada bing. Too fucking easy.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Does anyone know if any conference other than the Big 12 had an uneven distribution of $$$?

I'm pretty sure the Big 10 is equal. I don't know about any of the others. I can't imagine Florida and Bama would be happy about giving Vanderbilt an equal share.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The Carolina schools aren't splitting up.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That's a terrible idea. The Big 10 is going for home runs. Duke is not a home run. GT is not a home run.

12. Football_Bat

The scenario on the ground may dictate otherwise.

Draft saved Draft deleted