1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS leagues expanding - yeah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Time for Cleveland State to pony up.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Arkansas is a better fit in the Big 12 anyway.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

According to Ross Dellinger on the Yahoo Sports College Football Enquirer Podcast, they structured the pay out of the back damages, the $2.77B, with 60% coming from the NCAA offices, the G5, and the 22 non-football conferences {about $1.6B) and 40% (about $1.1B) from the P5 which includes the Pac, as that was the structure when the suit was filed. The 22 proposed to flip that to their paying the 42% and the P5 58%, but I doubt the big guys will sit still for that.

I loved Dan Wetzel's description of the argument, which is essentially that the 22 conference's position is "Our guys weren't deprived of NIL because they were not going to get paid to speak of. They were not going to be on the cover of Madden. They might have gotten $500 from the boosters or something, but Alabama football and Kentucky basketball, this is your problem, not ours. And the P5's answer is "Pound sand".

The big conferences are saying to the smaller "You helped make these rules. You helped enforce these rules. In some cases you resisted changing these rules. So you are partially responsible for where we are now." What they are intentionally overlooking is the difference in financial realities. The Ohio States and Alabamas fund their teams through the athletic department, and virtuously declare that none of the money spent on high end facilities comes from the academic side. The smaller schools have no such resources and their athletics funding is generally directly subsidized by the university.

The formula used to arrive at the number was that they took the basketball funding distribution over a nine year period 2016 - 2024 and used that to come up with the percentage. That's a big reason why the Big East is howling that they are being disproportionately levied for funds, because the league has so many strong basketball programs (and no football funding to boot).

The non-P5 also take the position that the portion of the funding that is coming from the NCAA Office is money that they paid in, so that portion is essentially them paying twice.

Discussion starts about 38:20.
    Dabo Swinney downplays the transfer portal & the House settlement nears

Last edited: May 23, 2024
    tapintoamerica likes this.
  4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Can someone familiar with the governance of public universities in North Carolina help me on this?

I believe members of the Board of Trustees of UNC Chapel Hill are making noises about getting out of the ACC. But I believe the North Carolina Board of Governors, who oversee all public universities including Chapel Hill and NC State, makes the final decision on items like conference realignment. So what the Board of Trustees in Chapel Hill think is largely irrelevant. The Board of Governors will make the final decision. And the Board of Governors has signaled they don't want UNC going anywhere without NC State.

Do I have it right?

5. LanceyHoward

In any accredited college of business students have to take courses in topics like market position and strategy. Yet decisions of college administrators invariably ignore these factors when making decisions about their athletic departments.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Yes. The UNC System governors must now approve a conference change. New policy.

franticscribe likes this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The college baseball tournaments mark the end of the journey that started with this event in 2010. I have no idea where we go from here, but I’m pretty sure we’re going to find out it’s not somewhere better.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I was just going to post this. I worked with Roxy on numerous occasions on basketball and baseball broadcasts as the guy who makes sure the bug is accurate, who gives the broadcasters notes, gets drinks, etc. He is a quality person who treated us minions with respect; so did Ben Braun, Kevin Stocker, Ben Braun, Rich Burke, Ted Robinson and a few others. Some other guys, not so much.

Impossible to believe the Pac-12 is over. A sad day for college sports, which are a trainwreck on progress.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. It beyond sucks.

LanceyHoward and HanSenSE like this.
  12. LanceyHoward

Agreed. As a child I started following the ACC at an early age and them moved to Colorado and followed the Big Eight. It is depressing knowing that these conferences will certainly be ripped apart at the end of their television deals, if not not sooner.

Draft saved Draft deleted