1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS leagues expanding - yeah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The only worthy candidates that are left will come from picking over the carcass of the Big 12. Namely Texas and Oklahoma, and Okie Lite will be forced to tag along with big brother.

Kansas is a strong possibility if they can find a pulse in football — hoops isn't enough.

The rest of the Big 12 will have no choice but to poach the American (as everyone expected them to do) and continue as a semi-power conference much like the old Big East. They'll be desperate enough to take BYU even with the Sunday sports prohibition.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I'm going to disagree. Although Mizzou isn't really relevant this year in football, and won't be in basketball, the SEC is better overall for the Tiggers than the B1G would be. For one, with a couple of good recruiting classes, Mizzou is back in the mix for an SEC football championship appearance -- and really, that's about the best a fan can hope for because MU is never going to be consistently on par with Alabama. It's less likely Mizzou makes a championship appearance in the B1G with Ohio State and Michigan, not to mention Sparty and Wisconsin. For two, a good -- not great -- basketball team would be much more likely to nab an NCAA bid in the SEC than in the oversaturated B1G.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the SEC money is much more than they could get in the B1G.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

That sentence makes as much sense as me saying I have a strong possibility of sleeping with Miss America if I win the Super Lotto. If memory serves Kansas has had one good stretch in football since Bobby Douglas was the quarterback almost 50 years ago.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

KU football is an interesting thing. It has extreme ups and downs for more than a century now, but Mason and Mangino both showed it is possible to be competitive (5-8 wins every year with an occasional double-digit win season). When KU is simply in the mix for a bowl game the fan support is great.

KU finally has a coach who is doing a lot of the same things Mangino did, but the hole dug by Gill and Weiss was ridiculously deep. Just getting the roster up to Division I numbers has been a multi year process.

I'm sure it comes off as fanboi talk, but I certainly didn't feel this way under the past two coaches. In five years KU will be an average to above average program, thanks to sticking with a plan and Bill Snyder retiring again.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Half of Liberty's fans are on the fire Gill train now, so there's that.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Has there been a coach that's dropped as sharply as Turner Gill? From the next big thing to can't even win at Liberty.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

At least he left you with more than 55 scholarship players, and some of them were ACC caliber. When Beaty got to KU and finished with necessary house cleaning the roster was middle of the pack CAA quality at best.

Good news is KU has a 5-star kicker coming in next year. Adequate place kicking could have meant 3 or four more wins the last year and a half.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Did you know he used to be a cop?

Cosmo, Jake_Taylor and Big Circus like this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Seems to work for Kentucky.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Kentucky, like Ole Miss and Mississippi State, have had the great good fortune to be charter members of the SEC, and, as such are grandfathered in, apparently, for life. The fact that they are all state universities, and in Kentucky's case, the only major state university, keeps them securely in the fold.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted