1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS bowl matchups

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

PS: At 9-3, they'll be lucky to finish in the Top Fifteen in the polls, and hence BCS rankings. Just think of all the one and two-loss teams from BCS conferences that'd be ahead of 'em.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I pray that Oregon wins the Pac 10 to further muck up the Boise State argument

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How does Oregon winning the Pac 10 change the unarguable fact that Boise played a shit schedule following their opener?

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

It doesn't

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i'm rooting for texas vs. tcu in the national champeenship

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

What matchup would cause the most annoyance to the most annoying segments of the college football world?

That's what I'm rooting for. Someone let me know.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Inside SJ: Notre Dame vs. Ohio State
    Outside SJ: who knows

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

USC-Ohio State for the third time in 14 months. Yawn.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see a second non-BCS school get a bid, especially if USC dumps Oregon down the rankings and Penn State loses again. It would be a nice tweak to Orrin Hatch (especially since no schools from Utah would benefit). The other at-larges would go to the SEC and the ACC.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Again, it's not gonna happen. The Orange and Sugar bowls aren't gonna go for it unless they have to, and I'm guessing the Fiesta's unlikely to go for TCU-Boise.

And an at-large for the ACC? To whom? Unless Georgia Tech doesn't win the ACC title, I can't think of another team that would fit the bill. And Georgia Tech fans don't travel for shit. Virginia Tech, maybe, but they'd probably go to the Sugar, and if Alabama doesn't win the SECCG, that creates a rematch.

And it's not as though Va. Tech's known for its traveling fans, either.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Okay here's my try:
    BCS: Alabama - Texas
    Rose: USC - Iowa
    Fiesta: Boise - Cincinnati (or flip with at large from Orange)
    Sugar: TCU - Florida
    Orange: Georgia Tech - Penn State/Pitt/Ohio State/ etc.

The problem is if you go by the chalk (I know, I know) - the non-BCS schools will win out - then you have the six conference champs, and you'll have to reach down and take a two-loss Penn State or Ohio State, Miami, Pittsburgh or Oklahoma State.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

First if Oregon wins the PAC-10, Boise's stock goes up. Secondly, I think it would be a major oversight for bowl committees to think America would rather see a 2-loss Big Ten team or Cincinatti rather than Boise in a bowl game. Especially the Fiesta. Look what happened last time they played. Look what happened when Utah played Alabama.

If they want to make exciting games, they need to get the underdogs in. America wants to see the underdogs.

Draft saved Draft deleted