1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BBWAA Complaints About St. Louis Press Box

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moondoggy, Oct 26, 2006.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Since I can't get around anymore, I have not seen it myself, but I have spoken to a number of baseball beat writers who have been there and tell me it's the worst. In fact, if they played Game 3 last night, everybody in the "main press box" would have been soaked. How anyone could build a press box open to the rain is beyond me. And anyone who thinks we get into the business to get free lunches and see major-league games is also beyond me. We are there to work. Period. The conditions should be conducive to that.

2. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Can anyone imagine working in an office without AC or heat? Or what about having gusts of wind blowing around your paperwork, scattering important documents all over the place? It shouldn't matter what the fans think in a case like this. Writers have a job to do and the Cardinals were cheap enough to think that stuff like this doesn't matter. I'm just wondering how will they fix it and, to a lesser degree, will there be anything done for the PR dept.?

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

it's amazing that in this day and age press boxes are still an afterthought. i know leagues generally despise the media but it's not like this is an outdated facility. it's what, two years old?

4. wallace_matthews

wallace_matthews New Member

I worked there last week for the Mets-Cards series and the only complaint I had is that it was too cold to work comfortably. Even decrepit old Shea has heat lamps in the press box

5. It kinda stunned me a little that they'd have similar conditions for their own PR dept. You're not going to be the cheeriest dude after freezing/sweating your balls off. If they don't fix it, maybe we'll start to see some different things from St Louis next season.

NEWS FLASH: Pujols awarded with some large black plaque, Rolen gets a big metal baseball mitt.

6. Simon

Simon Active Member

They just cut out seats out of the top deck, threw some walls above it, put seats in it and threw a HUGE Bud Light sign on top of it. That's all it is.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Seriously.
    When every gamer from a Cardinals game includes this phrase...
    "Edmonds appeared to have hit the ball in the air, but due to poor sight lines, the Post-Dispatch was unable to determine where."
    ...Trust me, people would care more about that.

And if I have to worry about my computer freezing or overheating, I'd be a little ticked.

8. joe

joe Active Member

If the press box is too tough, I'm sure there are some laborer jobs available right now in the Pacific Northwest. Probably some along the coast, where the wind howls and the rain squalls and it's about 34 degrees.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's an astonishing story. Baseball games in St. Louis could be 100 degrees or 30, or have a monsoon-near-tornado (the one they had a few mos ago was scary). Massively irresponsible by the Cards, MLB and whoever had one finger to do with that.

Re-read Bud's opening quote from the story. There's your commish in a nutshell.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Which is completely irrelevant to the discussion. But thanks for sharing.

11. Yes, by all means, nobody who doesn't have the worst job in the world has a right to complain about circumstances that make doing their job harder.
    Those laborers in the Northwest should stop whining. Look at what Alaskan crab fishermen go through!

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Exactly.
    Those laborers don't have to watch the Marlins 12 times a year.

Draft saved Draft deleted