1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BBWAA Complaints About St. Louis Press Box

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moondoggy, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

By Joe Strauss
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/26/2006

The Baseball Writers' Association of America moved Wednesday to request that Major League Baseball withhold awarding the 2009 All-Star Game to the Cardinals until significant improvements are made to a press facility the organization considers unacceptable to host a special event.

Commissioner Bud Selig described the matter as "a real and valid" issue Wednesday and acknowledged being made aware of the writers' concerns.

"It's always a significant issue. I'm sensitive to it, and I know the issues are real and valid," Selig said. "The question is what can be done about it, and I don't have an answer about it right now."

Here's a link to the rest of the story ...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/A9DD9AFF3A15CC20862572130016AE84?OpenDocument

2. 85bears

85bears Member

This is a bad PR move by journalists - fans will NOT have sympathy.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Who gives a crap if the fans have sympathy...other than fanboys like you, Bears85.

What it shows is the BBWAA -- unlike writers organizations in other sports -- is at least willing to to take a stand or make a fuss in support of conditions, access etc. for working media.

4. 85bears

85bears Member

Fuck yourself really, really hard, asshole.

We already have a perception problem. Fans will look at this as us not thinking our "free tickets" are good enough. That's not an image an industry with an image problem wants to project.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Do you actually work in this business? Do you have any fucking clue what you're talking about?
    Being concerned with working conditions and access is part of an image problem?
    Being concerned with what fans think is more important to you than being able to do your job properly in a suitably professional setting?

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If the press box does not allow me to do my job, that's a problem MLB has a responsibility to fix.
    If the public is offended by my efforts to be able to do my job, fuck 'em.
    There's a bit of a diiference between complaining about a free box lunch and complaining about untenable working conditions.

7. True story. I mean, is this following complaint really whining?

'Media members not sitting in the front row are unable to see the stadium scoreboard or follow fly balls unless they lay their heads flat on the table.'

Cripes. If what the writers currently have is a meal ticket, it sounds like St. Loo's asking them to eat out of the trough.

8. Doesn't sound that much worse than Fenway, although it's home plate you can't see there. Good thing they have a couple TVs.

9. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Nice language there 85Bears. You kiss your mom with that foul mouth?
    I remember when I used to talk like that ... when I was a sophomore in high school and it seemed really cool.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Are there any SportsJournalists.commers covering the Series or who visited St. Louis this year willing to share their personal experiences? I'd love to hear how the Cardinals managed to build a nifty new stadium with a Little League press box.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've been to the stadium, not in a working capacity. I remember turning to the buddy I was with and telling him it looked like a seriously shitty press box. Met a working press friend later during the stay and he confirmed my thoughts.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I've heard nothing but bad things about that press box. The St. Louis writers were grumbling from the start.

Draft saved Draft deleted