1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baton Rouge to flood New Orleans market

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Advocate plans to run a daily newspaper in New Orleans.
    http://www.wwltv.com/home/Baton-Rouge-Advocate-plans-daily-NO-paper-168686166.html

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Push the LSU/Saints coverage hard.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

'Flood'?

Hysterical.

4. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

'Drip' uses a liquid-based metaphor/pun.

Oh, so clever.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep, I think the people who live there have had enough floods lately.

6. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Great idea by the Advocate to move in. Does this mean the Advocate will be the newspaper in New Orleans or will there be a special New Orleans Advocate? The story was a little vague about that, only saying there's a newsroom in New Orleans.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

It means that the T-P's competition has come into its back yard. This will be interesting. The one thing that the T-P didn't take into consideration, in my opinion, is that many people still do no own computers.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Not to over generalize but people who don't own computers are either poor and can't afford one or old and don't know how to use one.

Neither is considered the target market for advertisers.

This will end badly, unless a deep pocketed New Orleans resident underwrites it or the entire body of state required advertising moves to the Advocate. That would be about the only things to keep it afloat, so to speak.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Advocate will be drowning in debt before you know it.

10. slc10

slc10 Member

Give the Advocate the kuhungas or stones to at least try a way of getting more business. The worst thing that can happen is the plan doesn't work and they pull out of the Big Easy.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Two excellent points. Jay, I know where you are going with that thought but again, there are many poor and older people. I don't think advertisers can simply ignore them that easily.
    And the Advocate's aggressive stance in worth noting. They have nothing to lose.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The worst thing that could happen is that the plan backfires and the Advocate closes. That's the worst case. The still worse but slightly better case is that the plan backfires and the Advocate leaks money like an old sewer pipe. They drop the New Orleans edition but the damage is so significant that the Advocate staff is cut to make up for the losses.

Let me repeat, nothing good will come of this unless some cards fall their way.

Draft saved Draft deleted