1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bathroom remodeling question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

TBF we have the same dilemma. Our showers stall is tiny and our big soaker tub in front of the window gets used maybe 6 times a year. I would love to rip out the tub and put in a big pimpin shower but am worried about resale.

2. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Childless women use tubs once or twice a week. Mothers know that the instant they slide in, someone will burst into the bathroom asking if Drano will get melted cheese out of the dog's fur.

BUT--

I cherish the fantasy that I can slip into a cloud of hot, scented bubbles and stay there for an hour. A house that denies me that fantasy would get demerits when I was deciding what to buy.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, is TBF's tub in the guest bathroom enough, or do you need to see it in the master bathroom?

My place is a convert from industrial space. I have no tub, and a small shower. Not that I would use a tub often, but i do have a little tub envy.

And, every girlfriend has missed (at least the idea of) a tub.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Here's the thing.

A whirlpool tub is a selling point on the walkthrough. It's a "wow" item.

Then you buy the place and find that you use the whirlpool tub about twice a year. Something you don't think about when you're younger, too -- a tub is not an easy in-and-out thing once you get over 50. It takes some work.

So, the tub is good for sales, not so great in practicality for whoever ends up with it.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Relatives of mine put a whirlpool tub in about 10 years ago. They have *never* used it. It's like a running joke. "So, are we going to use the tub this year?"

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

When I redid my bathroom I gleefully yanked out that useless, stupid tub that came with the house. Now I have a nice large shower and a linen closet, and I couldn't be happier. I also got rid of the vanity and went with a pedestal sink. Haven't stubbed my toe on a bleary early morning since.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No, childed women with husbands who know what's good for them take baths once a week. Saturday or Sunday night is "mommy gets an hour to relax" day.

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Husbands are home on Saturday and Sunday? Where? :D

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And where they are home, they actually ALLOW their wife to take an hour off?? ;)

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

In a suburban house, it needs to be in the master bath. I think lofts have more leeway for where things end up.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

IJAG and WT are indirectly making very good points.

Make the women happy, because that's the person in the family who makes the final decision in which home is bought. So keep the tub.

Is a jet tub in the master out of the question? That is what we have, and Lil 93 loves taking baths in it. You will probably have to add some support to the floor.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Mrs. Chiquet, a tub lover, says as long as there is one in the house, you are fine. No need for it to be in the master bath. Just her 2cents

Draft saved Draft deleted