1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BASW (and similar) question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flip Wilson, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Anthologies. How the heck do they work?

Serious question. A story in today's NYT about an anthology of poems dedicated to food and drink got me to thinking. From the publishing side, how do anthologies work? Is the writer paid for a story that's included, or is the publication it initially appeared in paid? Is the BASW (or whatever anthology) guest editor paid a set amount, or paid by the number of copies that the book sells?

Anyone have any insight?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

GlennStout might

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The authors for BASW are not paid. The publisher, I believe, pays a small fee to the original publication for the rights. I have no idea on the guest editor thing.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

It depends on who holds the rights to the story. My Esquire stuff, for instance, I get the rights back to the stories 60 days after publication, so when they've appeared in BASW or another one of those books, I get a check. But sometimes the publisher is the rights holder, in which case they'd get the check. But someone gets paid, yes.

5. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

Wrong Double Down. The rights holder must give permission, and in most instances that means they get paid. Sometimes the rights holder is the writer, and sometimes it's the publication. In that case it is up to the publication as to whether the rights fee is shared with the writer or not.

For most anthologies, the editor is treated like the book "author" and will get an advance and royalties, albeit an advance that is generally much less than generally than for a nonfiction book.

In general, and even more so today, most anthologies are considered tough sells in publishing, and are not very lucrative. Series, like the BA's are the exceptions - one-offs are a tough sell, and reprint rights, in the internet age, are increasingly difficult and costly to acquire.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

My bad. Glad to know my publication got paid and I didn't see a nickle.

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Glenn (and all): I appreciate the info. Good stuff, and it answered my questions. 'Preciate it.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

9. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

If it was up to me, it would be different.

Draft saved Draft deleted