1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball stat question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fourth and 8, Jan 19, 2008.

1. txscoop

txscoop Member

Batman..your an idiot..sorry.

2. txscoop

txscoop Member

From Webster:
    Main Entry: air ball
    Function: noun
    Date: 1981
    : a missed shot in basketball that fails to touch the rim and backboard

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm starting to feel like it. Who knew using logic could actually lead to stupidity? ;)

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Just think of how many rebounds you've robbed from poor high school schmucks over the years. You probably cost more than one of them a college scholarship. For shame. ;)

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

By your definition, if a guy hits a shot that's nothing but net, it's not a shot because it didn't hit the rim.

If someone shoots with the intention of trying to get it in - like a 3/4 court shot at the buzzer that doesn't come close or a 15-foot jumper that airballs - it's a shot.
    If a kid airballs, a teammate gets the ball and scores, it is not an assist. It's a miss, offensive rebound and a basket.

As for the hyphens, I believe it is "Johnny was 6 of 8 shooting" or "Johnny was 6-for-8 shooting."

6. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Actually Rhody, a hurried shot (grab and shoot to beat the shot clock) or a shot out of normal shooting range (as the 3-4 court would be) are NOT shot attempts according to the NCAA. Especially the latter. If it's desperation from far away, it's only an attempt if it goes in.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Obviously, if the ball goes through the hoop it'd be a shot. I was talking about misses only.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I single-handedly turned Little Johnny from dreams of basketball stardom to a harrowing life of meth addiction. All because I only credited him with five rebounds in that late December game in 2001 instead of seven rebounds. I do, indeed, feel shame :'(
    ;D

9. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

We need to get over this shot clock thing. Airballs don't reset the shot clock because ruling it that way it eliminates a judgment call. The official doesn't have to judge whether that fling into the air was a last-second shot or just a fling into the air to avoid a violation.
    The shot clock was not invented to give statisticians a way of defining shot attempts.

10. bdh02

bdh02 Member

Why is this thread so long?

11. Fourth and 8

Fourth and 8 Member

And it should never be 7-for-11 shooting. To be correct that would be 11 shots FOR seven points. You'd never say 11-for-7. Which is why I've never understood the logic behind baseball always saying a "1-for-4 day at the plate" as an example.

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

A simple rule on the hyphens is this:

If the numbers (collectively) are a noun, no hyphens. "Smith was 7 of 11 from the foul line."

If the numbers are an adjective, there is hyphens, because the numbers become a modifier. "Smith had a 7-of-11 night from the line."

Same goes for baseball/softball and football.

"Smith went 3 for 4 with two home runs." But, "Smith had a 3-for-4 day at the plate."

Draft saved Draft deleted