1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball stat question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fourth and 8, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Um ... an airball is a shot attempt, too.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My understanding was always that it was a shot because otherwise it couldn't be blocked.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

How can it be a shot if it doesn't hit the rim? In college and the pros, the shot clock doesn't reset for an airball.
    If the shooting team recovers, it's nothing. If the defensive team gets it, it's a turnover.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

This is more of a style issue than anything ...

7-of-11 shooting or 7 of 11 shooting?

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

With hypens. It's a compound modifier, at least the way I was taught it is.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Way I was taught...

He scored 14 points on 7-of-11 shooting.
    He hit 7 of 11 shots from the floor.

7. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Batman,

Say your teammate shoots the ball, it hits the backboard (but not the rim) and you grab it and put it in. Are you giving your teammate an assist? Or a shot attempt and a rebound for you (even though, by your definition, since the shot clock would NOT have reset in that case, there was no shot)?

This should help set you straight:

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:NE2MkR5uMeQJ:www.ncaa.org/library/statistical/basketball_stats_manual/2005/2005_basketball_stats.pdf+ncaa+basketball+statistics+handbook&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

Article 6. Blocked shots are counted as attempts when, in the opinion
    of the statistician, the ball clearly was in flight before being blocked; or the
    player was in the obvious act of shooting with the shooting hand moving
    toward the basket; or the player was airborne and moving toward the bas-
    ket with the intention of a dunk or layup and the ball in position for the shot.
    If there is doubt about whether the player was in the act of shooting, the
    interpretation shall be that he or she was not.

A.R. 6. Allen shoots and the shot is blocked by Brown. (a) Benton
    gains control of the blocked shot; (b) Adams gains control of the
    blocked shot; (c) Adams and Benton retrieve the ball simultaneous-
    ly and a held ball is called; or (d) the ball goes out of bounds before
    either team gains control. RULING: In (a), the statistician must
    decide which was most important, the block by Brown or the efforts
    of Benton to retrieve the blocked shot. If the statistician feels that the
    block by Brown was most important, credit Brown with an individual
    rebound. If the statistician feels that the efforts by Benton were most
    important, credit Benton with the individual rebound. In (b), credit
    Adams with an individual rebound. In (c), if Team A is awarded the
    ball for a throw-in, credit Adams with an individual rebound. If Team
    B is awarded the ball for a throw-in, credit either Brown or Benton
    with an individual rebound. In (d), credit a team rebound to the team
    that is awarded the ball for the throw-in. In all four cases, credit
    Brown with a blocked shot.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Where is it written that a shot has to hit the rim to be counted as an attempt? You're telling me if a guy takes a jumper from the corner and it hits nothin
    Where is it written a shot has to hit the rim to be counted as a shot for statistical purposes? The abbreviation FGA does not stand for "number of times the shot clock resets."

If the shooting team recovers, it's an offensive rebound. If the defensive team recovers, it's a defensive rebound.

Granted, there are occasions when it's a judgment call. But if a guy takes a jumper from the corner and it hits nothing, it's obviously a field goal attempt.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

On every level I've ever seen basketball played, an airball is not a shot. It's either a turnover or a pass.
    On the playground, if you shoot an airball and the defense recovers, they don't have to take it back outside the key.
    In high school, it's a little more of gray area since there's no shot clock. But in college and pros, the shot clock doesn't reset unless it hits the rim. If it was a shot, wouldn't the shot clock, by definition, reset to reflect that a shot had been attempted?

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm giving myself a shot attempt and two points. My teammate gets nothing. The intent wasn't there to assist the basket, so he gets no assist (even if the effect was the same). Since it didn't hit the rim it was no shot, and therefore no rebound.
    I'll stand corrected on my original thought that blocked shots didn't count as shot attempts. I've always been fuzzy on that one. But I'm pretty adamant about airballs. One of my pet peeves is when some high school statistician gives a player 35 rebounds in a 30-25 crapfest of a game because that player was snagging bricks off the backboard and airballs.

11. OJ1414

OJ1414 Member

And those high school statisticians are right (if the player did get 35 rebounds off bricks off the backboard and airballs). There's no exception for airballs in the definition of Field Goal Attempted.

From the first section of the NCAA statisticians' manual:

12. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

Uhhh, grabbing bricks and shots off the backboard are rebounds. So are balls that are intentionally tapped out by players to other players on the floor.

Draft saved Draft deleted