1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball scoring question ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Girl in playoff game has free throw rattle around and miss. Makes next. Scoreboard operator credits her with two. No one notices scoreboard error except people on press row. None of us inform the officials. Not our job.

Question is, in the box score does she get credited for the make? Or should I just add Team 0-0 0-0 1 at the end?

2. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Depends who's keeping the official scorebook, if there is one. If the official scorer counts it, that's the final score -- although it probably bears explanation in your game story, especially if it's a close final score. The player would be credited with the point, earned or not. But, before I left the gym, I think I'd be asking a lot of questions.

If there's no official book, I'd talk to the two coaches to see if you can reach some sort of agreement about what happened vs. what didn't. I also think that if there's no official scorekeeper, the home team's book is the one that counts.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You wouldn't award it as a team point because she scored it, even though she really didn't. The error is that she was awarded the point, period, not that someone else scored it and she was given credit for it.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yup

5. Rhody31

T'anx ....

And the team that got credited with the extra point was winning by 1 with 17 seconds left in the game until the team that got screwed made a basket with four seconds left, ruining my planned question of the coach.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

A long time ago I covered a high school basketball game that had playoff implications for the visiting team. The official scorer was a former coach on the home team's football staff and still a faculty member there. I sat near him and kept play-by-play, then after the game checked my stats against his.

The home team won by one point. I kept coming up one point short when I totaled its individual scoring. Then I went back through the play-by-play more carefully. At one point in the game, when I flipped from one page to the next, I copied the score off the scoreboard. Upon further review, the home team was given three points on the scoreboard instead of two (there was no 3-point shot at any time close to this point in the game). I didn't catch it like I would have had it been all on one page, but the flip from one page to the other helped me to miss it. Not sure what I would have done had I noticed at the time, but I brought it to the attention of the official scorer.

He checked his book, and he couldn't make the home team's scoring add up to the total either. He came up one point short. He listened to me, looked at his book, looked around the gym, then said "Oh, I forgot to give so-and-so that free throw. Then he penciled in a point, closed the book and walked away.

Visiting team didn't catch it, didn't protest, didn't make the playoffs.

7. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Seriously? A one-point playoff game with 17 seconds left and only press row sees this? Something aint right here. Coaches, and every fan know the situation and score at that point, and most look up at the score anyway after every shot.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I could be wrong, but I don't think he's saying that foul shot was missed with 17 seconds left. I believe it was missed earlier.

9. Rhody31

Ding ding.

The foul shot was missed early in the game. It was one of those weird free throws that looks in, then all of a sudden sneaks out. The scorekeeper must have clicked the button seeing it pass by the rim and when she looked down, didn't see it squirt out.
    They were very, very jumpy on the scoreboard and clock.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I've had games where the scoreboard operator screwed up and I've mentioned it to him during a timeout. Always checked with the official scorebook. Whatever is in the book is the official report, not the scoreboard.

So, if the guy keeping the book screws up, well, it counts. Every point has to be given to someone, though, so it's sort of like if a player tips a ball in their own net.

Years ago, when I was an SID, I was with our (visiting) team at a school that was very inexperienced with stat keeping. They had one girl one our team scoring 4 points who was out for the year with a serious injury and didn't even make the trip that night.

I offered to check their "official" box score against my own and we corrected it post-game. It DID affect our team's cumulative stats for the year, so as the SID, I had a vested interest in getting it right.

11. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Ah. well now I know what aint right....my reading/interpretation of the earlier post. That makes more sense now.
    Cool. My bad....carry on.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I can't believe no one noticed it when it did happen. I've been at enough games where there were (real or perceived) scoreboard errors in 25-point games that some yahoo next to me screamed about.

I've also been at running-clock games where similar yahoos scream that the clock's still running after the whistle blows.

Draft saved Draft deleted