1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball score/stat sheets

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Nov 30, 2018.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I've been freelancing high school football for the past few years, and I really enjoy it, so I'm thinking about expanding into basketball this season. Only it's been more than a decade since I've covered it.

Are there any new or improved scoring/stat sheets you guys use? I always created my own back in the day, and I can do that again, but I wanted to check here first.

God, keeping track of basketball stats were a gianormous pain in my ass. I assume that's still the case.

Thanks in advance.

2. Jake Dowling

Jake Dowling New Member

What I have done for a couple of years now is keeping track of each possession in both boys and girls basketball. Where I cover basketball, the coaches send out the score sheets on how many players scored, so I never found the need to do what they can do for me. Instead, I keep track of how each possession went (writing 3-pointer, bucket, free throws, turnovers, who scored and when in individual boxes per quarter) to help me break down the flow of the game better. To me, if I am a reader, reading about how many rebounds, assists and points a kid got doesn't matter to me, I want to know how the game unfolded.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I plan on doing both. I'll likely use my old method. Worked well enough for a decade. I'm sure it'll work again.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

JackReacher likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted