1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball rules question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boobie Miles, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Member

Another rules query: If someone shoots an airball -- and in the case of girls' high school basketball that can sometimes mean, 'throws a soft line drive' -- and another player grabs it, does that person get credited for a rebound?

2. If it can reasonably be considered a shot, then it must have a rebound. So, yes.

3. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Member

If it can reasonably be considered a shot, then it must have a rebound. So, yes.
    [/quote]

But a blocked shot doesn't have a rebound, does it?

4. But a blocked shot doesn't have a rebound, does it?
    [/quote]

It has every time I've taken stats. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

5. happygirl

happygirl Member

No, that's not a legal shot, and it was disallowed when Bird took it.

6. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'm just going to keep the random questions coming. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one, but it invariably starts an argument anyways: say I attempt a shot, a legit attempt, at say a floater or something and the shot is an airball but somehow I come up with the ball without it touching anyone or anything. Travel?

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Traveling. You cannot shoot/pass the ball to yourself. It must touch another player, the rim or the backboard before you can touch it again.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

When a basketball goes over the backboard, but does not touch any wires, shot clock, etc. and comes down on the other side in bounds, is it out of bounds? YES

In case that's not clear, say for example someone takes a shot from the right wing and it hits the front of the rim and bounds high enough to clear the backboard going over on the left side is it that out of bounds? YES

And if it is out of bounds as soon as it goes over the backboard, what if it manages to just bounce along the top and falls off to the side w/o going over, is that out? NO

9. e4

e4 Member

It has every time I've taken stats. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.
    [/quote]

all blocks have to have a rebound because, at least in stat software, the rebound accounts for who gains possession of the loose ball

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Any shot taken, blocked or not, results either in a basket or a rebound. If the missed shot (even a blocked shot) goes out of bounds without clear possesion gained, it is a team rebound awarded to the team that gets the ball.

Even missed first free throws are rebounds.

Go to any NBA box score and add up the shots taken. Then add up the baskets (FT, 2 pt or 3 pt) and rebounds (include team or dead ball rebounds) and they will be equal. If not, someone screwed up.

Draft saved Draft deleted